Ginger Jars

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by jeasta, Apr 6, 2018.

1. jeasta

jeasta Well-Known Member

Hello again,
    Recently I was asking about English maker's marks and based on your kind responses I bought Kovel's two dictionaries of marks and Lehner's book on American marks. Now I am curious about Asian maker's marks. I picked up this gorgeous set of ginger jars today at an estate sale and was told by the lady that the late owner of these jars had been in the military and picked these up likely in Japan in the 60s or 70s. I was wondering if there is a book on Asian maker's marks that anyone could recommend to me and if anyone has any information on these jars. Thanks! IMG_20180406_171030-2024x1518.jpg IMG_20180406_170939-1518x2024.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

For older pieces most of us use the site I've posted below.

I think 1960-70 might be a little early. I was thinking later. 1990s, but I could be wrong wait for other opinions.

In the meantime you might want to bookmark this site.

http://gotheborg.com/index.htm

aaroncab likes this.
  3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Gotheborg says Kutani Shoei, unknown maker, 1926-1988 Showa period. I'd guess '70s or later.

aaroncab likes this.
  4. jeasta

jeasta Well-Known Member

Thanks so much! I have gone through that list at least twice and managed to miss it both times!

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I know the feeling. I kept reading "these jars had been in the military".:confused: After a few times I even thought, well that accounts for the green decoration.:hilarious:
    (Don't mind me, not fully awake yet)

Anyway, I agree, 70s or later.

Draft saved Draft deleted