Featured Gilded Cased Glass Flask, Ground Throat, No Stopper, Hand-Painted Stars

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wlwhittier, May 30, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

It's 6⅜" high, ~3⅜" max. diameter, ~1⅝" rim diameter, 2⅜" foot diameter. Weight is ~11¼ ounces. The core is white, the case is transparent amber. All the decoration is over the case; gold at rim, throat and foot, near-black serpentine, opaque blue & red stars. There is no pontil, nor any signature;
    black light has no effect. Each ray of the stars is a single brush-stroke.

Pic 6 shows the throat, with the core taper-ground into the case for a matching stopper, which, sadly, no longer exists. I've found a crystal stopper that fits well, but may not be vapor or liquid proof...it looks ~OK.

I doubt it's Asian, and lean heavily toward European origin. I hope some of you can bring clarity to the mystery of where...and when...this was made. Thanks!

fullsizeoutput_9393.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9392.jpeg fullsizeoutput_938d.jpeg fullsizeoutput_938c.jpeg fullsizeoutput_938b.jpeg fullsizeoutput_938f.jpeg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

How thick must it be to be casting shadows on itself!!?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. wlwhittier

Ahhh...I'm missing your point, here. Which pic?

I've no way to accurately measure wall thickness...but a reasonable estimate would be Max 0.187", 3/16ths of an inch. What are you talking about?

4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I think that Aquitaine is just commenting on how the gold ribbon and painted stars cast a shadow onto the creamy color beneath it. It's a very nice visual affect.

Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id guess Italian. Werent they big on cased glass like that ?

Roaring20s likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful. It looks Art Deco, but I don't know if it is. @Ownedbybear ?:)

Roaring20s likes this.
  7. wlwhittier

You're right! I'd noticed that initially, but failed to include it in my description out of haste, and because I simply wasn't payin' enough attention. It really does show the depth of the case.

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hm. The decoration is a bit atomic, so it's perhaps post war. I tend to think of that gold glass as being later. Cased was Czech as well as Italian, but my gut feel is Italian and an Empoli maker.

johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. wlwhittier

What is Empoli? Perhaps a city?

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Yes, 4th & 5th images down....@Roaring20s hit it nicely!!! The Red and Whitish (or Blueish) stars seem to be casting a shadow below them each!!

11. wlwhittier

To answer my own question:

Empoli Cased Glass became popular during the 1950's + 60's, when Empoli glass manufacturers moved away from the traditional green "Verde" glassware, and began producing brightly coloured glass cased in a layer of clear glass, sometimes having an internal layer of opaque white "Lattimo" glass.

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Sorry, should have answered! Area of Italy near Florence with many glass makers.

wlwhittier and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted