Giant glass globe with portholes

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dude, Mar 7, 2022.

1. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I could barely fit this in the car. Does anyone know what it's for? The guy I got it from said it took several glassblowers to make it and is worth a lot.

Thanks

PS: I'll have better pics tomorrow when it's light out again.

20220307_172611.jpg 20220307_172619.jpg 20220307_174531.jpg 20220307_172208.jpg

judy and bercrystal like this.
  2. dude

dude Well-Known Member

. 20220307_173943 (1).jpg

bercrystal and KSW like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Jena glass
    Alternate titles: Jenaer Glas
    Print Cite Share More

By The Editors of Encyclopaedia BritannicaEdit History
    Related Topics:

glass
    See all related content →

Jena glass, German Jenaer Glas, fine-quality glass with improved resistance to heat and shock, suited for chemical ware. It was developed for thermometers and measuring vessels, optical ware, and scientific and industrial uses.

Jena glass was first produced by the German glass chemist Otto Schott, who, with Ernst Abbe and Carl Zeiss, founded Schott and Associates Glass Technology Laboratory in Jena, Germany, in 1884. The early Jena glass—a sodiummagnesiumaluminumzinc borosilicate containing some boron trioxide in place of part of the silica of older glasses—foreshadowed later borosilicates, which include Pyrex.

4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

More to the point, what are you going to do with it?! It’s enormous!

5. dude

dude Well-Known Member

It sure is!

I'm thinking about plugging it up, making a stand for it, and repurposing it into a unique fish tank or terrarium. Want to make sure it's not worth more than a few hundred, though, before I mess with it. If it's worth more, I'll try to flip it.

Besides the value, I wish I knew what it is supposed to be used for.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

If you keep it, please show us the pictures of what you do with it.

7. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

You could have a matching pair! Free shipping on that one too:hilarious:
    Having read that, I still have no clue what it’s for :confused:

anundverkaufen, bercrystal and dude like this.
  9. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Plug up a couple of holes and make the world's largest bong! :wideyed:

10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

"litter" versus Liter? :rolleyes: I wondered whether it was for cats.

11. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Walter White would've known what it's for!:p

12. dude

dude Well-Known Member

bercrystal likes this.
  13. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Used in complex chemistry lab reactions:
    • Reaction flasks, which are usually spherical (i.e. round-bottom flask) and are accompanied by their necks, at the ends of which are ground glass joints to quickly and tightly connect to the rest of the apparatus (such as a reflux condenser or dropping funnel). The reaction flask is usually made of thick glass and can tolerate large pressure differences, with the result that one can be kept both in a reaction under vacuum, and pressure, sometimes simultaneously. Some varieties are:
      • Multiple neck flasks, which can have two to five, and less commonly, six necks, each topped by ground glass connections which are used in more complex reactions that require the controlled mixing of multiple reagents.
      • Schlenk flask, which is a spherical flask with a ground glass opening and a hose outlet and a vacuum stopcock. The tap makes it easy to connect the flask to a vacuum-nitrogen line through the hose and to facilitate the carrying out of a reaction either in vacuum or in an atmosphere of nitrogen.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laboratory_flask

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If all else fails it would make one heckuva floor lamp. Weighs too much to put it on a table or hang it.

dude, KSW and charlie cheswick like this.
  16. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Thx, 2MB. If I've digested the info correctly, I have a multiple neck reaction flask, right?

2manybooks and bercrystal like this.
  17. dude

dude Well-Known Member

These visuals help. Thanks, K.

Draft saved Draft deleted