Featured Getting a dark vibe from this….

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by mmarco102, May 29, 2024.

1. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

So here is another piece, I think it’s a vase. I keep it outside do to its sinister appeal. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Not clear on its purpose the colors, knobs on top and faces on legs. Has anyone seen similar?

8.75” H

‘thanks again… IMG_4707.jpg IMG_3791.jpeg IMG_3792.jpeg IMG_3794.jpeg IMG_3793.jpeg

Last edited: May 29, 2024
    Sarah V, Figtree3, komokwa and 7 others like this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

It calls for blood! :vamp:

Boland, komokwa, mirana and 1 other person like this.
  3. mmarco102

Now you are kidding, RIGHT? Drips of blood all over it, lol:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:. That is kinda my first thoughts too, :zombie:

komokwa and Roaring20s like this.
  4. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

5. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Buckets an' buckets o' Blood!

komokwa, Roaring20s and mmarco102 like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is a classic Javanese dish called 'babi setan', satan's pork.:vamp::joyful:
    My husband used to make it with chicken, 'ayam setan'.

We're talking food again, which means this thread has now officially derailed.:pompous::hilarious:

7. mmarco102

8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Boland, komokwa, Roaring20s and 2 others like this.
  9. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Devil's Ivy?

Boland, komokwa, Roaring20s and 2 others like this.
  10. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

11. mmarco102

faces on the feet are very common place. But I’ve never seen them as sinister as this back and red one, and still lost for reason for the knobs on top.

here is another tri leg face bowl I own that doesn’t spook me ;)

IMG_3811.jpeg IMG_3812.jpeg

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

but it should.......... :vamp::hurting::blackalien::troll:...:nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

Marote and mmarco102 like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Market it as a Black Panther vase? Sure looks like the mask.

mmarco102 and komokwa like this.
  14. mmarco102

Ok, so if I got this right, it calls for buckets and buckets o’ blood for devil’s stew, garnished with freshly grown devils Ivy, to stuff three black panthers faces. Got it! :wacky::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Figtree3, wlwhittier and Marote like this.
  15. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

16. wlwhittier

Hmm...Is yours a deep green glaze on the interior? An' does it have faces on the inner side of the feet as well? I've got one of those an' was curious about its origin, an' remembered this post, thinking it may be similar. Now it looks identical. I am more curious, lookin' at yours!

P1410521.jpeg P1410515.jpeg P1410516.jpeg P1410523.jpeg

mmarco102, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. mmarco102

The piece is over at my office right now, but yes the same faces as yours, both on the outer and inner sides of the feet. If I remember correctly it has a blue high glaze on the inside and I has always sparked my interest. So very interesting to me to see yours…..

will post a photo later, but perhaps someone out here has information that can help ID it has cultural or tourist. Personally, I have always loved it.

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and wlwhittier like this.
  18. wlwhittier

Yes, somehow a particularly attractive bowl, if a bit unusual. The appearance of hand-carved in the 4 geometric spirals may be illusory; they aren't impressed, as they're subtly different from one another...but the vessel may be slip-cast, an' the mold may have been crafted to add the illusion of handwork. That yours has a blue glaze, though...I have a growing sense of something I don't quite understand here.
    Your mention of faces on feet being commonplace is intriguing, too...where, or in what culture, is that prevalent? I'm not familiar with it, at all. Thanks for your comment!

Figtree3 likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

China, and some other Asian cultures.

mmarco102, wlwhittier and Figtree3 like this.
  20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Very interesting!

mmarco102 and wlwhittier like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted