Featured Gesso? ornate picture frame. Keywords needed.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lucille.b, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Would this be gesso? Convex glass. It's one of the most ornate frames of this kind I've ever found. Back is kind of cool because we know the photo was taken in the 1930s. Frame is fairly large at 20 inches across.

Just trying to get a feel for what value it might have ($80?) with picture, so keywords helpful so I can find similar.

Thanks!

d3.jpg

d4.jpg

d5.jpg

d6.jpg
    d99.jpg

I covered the last name of the family, but kind of a plus to have the date. Obviously added more recently. I assume the girl in the photo is one or two years old, so dates the photo print to late 30s. Would the frame be 30s? Guessing plus or minus.
    frame5.jpg

So first off, would this frame be called "gesso"?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is a gesso decorated frame from the 30s. Agree, nicer than most we see. $80.00 does not seem out of the question but would be high for my area.

pearlsnblume, judy and Lucille.b like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

This doesn't look '30s to me, more pre-'20s. Even though it applies to the image, I'm surprised to see the date 1937. The style of both image and frame appears to me to be older, but maybe that's just me.

It is possible that some family member made the ID according to family tradition and long after the fact, and got it wrong.

It's also possible that I've got it wrong.

It's a nice frame and a nice image.

4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thanks Brad and Moreotherstuff. :)

I wondered if it could be 20s (or earlier) as well. I was thinking maybe the former owners used an older frame.

I'll do some looking around at similar.

Thanks for the eyes on this!

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted