Geroge Washington Signed Letters

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Birdchild, Dec 30, 2022.

1. Birdchild

Birdchild Member

I was offered these letters that are supposedly for Washington.

Anyone know if these seem legit. The paper looks 18th century atleast.
    IMG_20221230_110924_224.jpg IMG_20221230_110921_148.jpg IMG_20221230_110915_488.jpg IMG_20221230_110918_683.jpg

Any Jewelry and wlwhittier like this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

They must be very valuable if genuine. I would have them evaluated hands-on by an expert, cover yourself!

3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Nearly MD handwriting

I'm no expert but the two look like completely different hands

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
    Figtree3 likes this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

George Washington was in Cambridge, Massachusetts in September 1775. I can't tell for sure what the surname of the captain of volunteers was. Looks like Hawens, but it might not be spelled correctly. Maybe Hawkens or something?

In September 1776 Washington's headquarters were on Manhattan island in New York, first in what is now Greenwich Village, then in the middle of the month he set up his headquarters in a mansion in what is now Harlem. The mansion is now a museum:
    https://morrisjumel.org/

However, your document says it was written "In the field" which doesn't help much. I found his whereabouts that month in a piece published in American Heritage last year It is very detailed. https://www.americanheritage.com/george-washington-september-11-1776#1

Anyway, the historical facts of his whereabouts don't prove anything, and they also don't disprove that your documents could be authentic. I agree with @Marie Forjan that you should have an expert look at them in person.

Any Jewelry and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

I'd be skeptical. Compared to authentic autographs, the ones you posted look crude, non-flowing, and lack some of the flourishes common to Washington's autograph. Here is an example. However, given the value of genuine autographs, it's probably worth getting an expert's opinion. Notably missing on the first one is the tiny 'o' high and to the immediate right of the G. That would be the standard for abbreviating George, not just a single letter. Using a superscript like that was extremely common when abbreviating first names. Also lacking are the flourishes on the g and t at the end of Washington.
    Washington-Rochambeau-Forbes.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]

I don't like the way the lines at the bottom of the W ..thin out the turn......

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. 2manycats

2manycats Well-Known Member

First I'd ask myself why someone was offering me easily 5-figure documents, instead of taking them to a big-time auction house. Then I'd compare them to the many examples of GW's handwriting & signature online, and I'd run not walk away from these.

Draft saved Draft deleted