George and Martha Washington

Discussion in 'Art' started by Shark Bait, Dec 10, 2023.

1. Shark Bait

Shark Bait New Member

My dad found these in a box of family things. He is 93 and does not know anything about them. The glass does not have bubbles in it. The silhouettes are cut and pasted onto a light background. I figure a lot of these would have been made over the years. I'm interested in your thoughts and opinions.

My images show when I edit, but not when I post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would think those were done during your father's lifetime. Why don't you open them up (carefully) and see if any information to be found inside?

Debora

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

They do appear to be from the first half of the 20th century, to my eye. Silhouettes were common decor in the middle class home.

mirana likes this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Are these also called cameo art?

7. Shark Bait

Shark Bait New Member

I have looked inside them. Nothing there.

I know they were commonly done as inexpensive alternatives to portraits from about 1790 to about 1840. But something like this of the first president and his wife have been made for a long time. I was hoping the fabric hang tabs might provide a clue. My dad doesn't remember seeing them in any family homes before.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

To my purist mind, a flat silhouette wouldn't/shouldn't be called cameo art... I consider those to be 3D. But... who knows, LOL. @Bronwen?

Aquitaine, mirana, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

No, cut paper silhouettes are not cameos, which, by definition, are in relief.

Figtree3, Aquitaine, mirana and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted