Georg Adam Scheid Brooch?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by johnett, Apr 30, 2015.

1. johnett

johnett Active Member

This is part of an estate I am selling. It says G.A.S. which is Georg Adam Scheid I believe it is marked AA for Vienna Austria I believe I am not sure what the other mark is. It is a painting it looks to be oil. It is from top to bottom it is 7/8" and from side to side at widest point it is 1 3/16". Now my question is was all his stuff marked silver? Was some of his stuff Gold plated over silver it looks like on top right side it had gold? I am not a jewelry person I know some but when it comes to old stuff I know very little. Like the clasp I would think around 1900? 20150430_164132.jpg 20150430_164153.jpg 20150430_164302-1.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Have you looked into the P and V stamps seen on the left side in your second picture?

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Perhaps you can see the details of your "Dianakopf" mark well enough to distinguish silver fineness and a closer date from the illustrations on this page.

http://www.925-1000.com/Faustria_02.html

4. johnett

johnett Active Member

shewww had to really look it is about the size of a straight pin head. It is 900 silver and made between 1872-1922. On the left side both of them are AA thank you Bakersgma

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Perhaps I should have been clearer - on the ( off the left side of the brooch, not on the left side of the Dianakopf.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. johnett

johnett Active Member

yes I understood those are both AA

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Um, well the one I see as a V could certainly be a capital A when viewed from the other direction, but is the other one a lower case a? Or a capital P for Pest?

If your Dianakopf has only a number and not a letter for the city of assay, then, according to the footnote on the chart, the date should be before 1872. I realize it's teensy tiny, but I thought I could see "something" on both sides of the head when I zoomed the picture.

8. johnett

johnett Active Member

yes on the head there is a 2 and A on the other side. But on the left side of my picture where you thought was a PV it is two A I had my husband look also just to make sure I didnt say what I thought they were or what you thought they were and he said there are two capital A

KingofThings likes this.
  9. johnett

johnett Active Member

it looks like I could prey the back off the brooch but I am to scared to even attempt it lol

KingofThings likes this.
  10. Bakersgma

Oh, I wouldn't try that.

And I'll take your hubby's word for it on the A. Not sure what those A's are actually for, though, since the "official" one is where it should be.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. johnett

johnett Active Member

now to figure out a price, the gentleman's wife passed in Jan and he just wants all her stuff gone. It is sad they were married 62 years and no children he is overwhelmed as she loved to shop and she had nice jewels

KingofThings likes this.
  12. Bakersgma

That is a shame for sure. :(

I don't sell, so I have no ideas on price or selling strategy.

KingofThings likes this.
  13. johnett

johnett Active Member

well thank you for all your help. I have no idea either have not seen one like it while searching

KingofThings likes this.
  14. Bakersgma

You're welcome. And good luck with it!

johnett and KingofThings like this.
  15. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

:(

16. johnett

johnett Active Member

I was thinking and I could be wrong but isnt there a specific name for this type of brooch besides Mini painting

17. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

18. johnett

johnett Active Member

Those are beautiful Messilane but I dont think I would use them for that price

19. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Stylistically, I don't see how this is before 1872. It looks very Art Nouveau. I would think that circa 1900 is more likely. If Austrian... Jugendstil or Vienna Secession.

johnett likes this.
  20. johnett

johnett Active Member

moreotherstuff I dont think it is either I agree about 1900, I just posted the dates from what it said on the silver website. The Diniakoph that is on the brooch was used from 1872-1922

Draft saved Draft deleted