Gentleman's Club?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by SeaGoat, Mar 8, 2016.

1. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

Saw these in a box lot at auction and loved the sequence from "serious" to relaxed.

College buddies out having a picnic? collage_20160308091927525_20160308091930593.jpg

What time frame would yall date these gents?

Kasperscuriosities likes this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

They appear to be late 19th C. Funny how the hat, so essential that they were worn all the time, have now pretty well vanished.

SeaGoat and Kasperscuriosities like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Ive started wearing hats the last few years due to how easily my thinning haired scalp gets sunburnt . Im not talking hipster porkpie hats ,but old man hats ! I often get compliments ,but I do think to myself how insufferably hot they must have been wearing those things in the heat . Mine are woven straw and I sweat to death in them !

4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I always wear a hat.....my "performing" hat for on-stage use is a gray fedora with a Zuni turquoise rosette on the front, and a tiny moonstone bee collected by my Mom on the side. Or a straw or Panama for summer stages.....
    For everyday I have a Tilley.

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have never worn a hat except when I was in the Navy. I lied, I have been known to wear a top hat when wearing tails for formal occasions. I "no likea a hat." Never have never will.
    greg

6. Kasperscuriosities

Kasperscuriosities Two hundred years too late.

I like hats. I wish men would wear them more often. My husband almost always wears a hat although, it is usually a cowboy hat. He does have a indiana jones style hat he wears a lot. At least that is what I call it. It's a nice hat. I wish people both men and women would dress more like they did back then. Now it is all sweat pants and flip flops. No style what so ever.

I love these pictures! A really neat scene.

SeaGoat likes this.
  7. SeaGoat

I bought 2 "floppy" hats to wear this summer. We spend hours at the ball park and I figured itd help keep the sun off my face and shoulders a little.
    Baseball hats is what all the men and some women weare around here..
    I've never been able to pull them off

8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

My dad wore the typical men's felt hats back in the '50s and maybe the '60s. When I see those types of hats it reminds me of him.

Was playing cards not socially acceptable in the late 1800s? I'm wondering if the guys had to sneak off to the woods to play?

9. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I wear a hat whenever I go out. It's either a flat-cap, a trilby, a Panama or Boater (only in hot weather), and very rarely - a homburg. I even have a cheap pith helmet which I bought from army surplus.

yourturntoloveit and Bakersgma like this.
  10. SeaGoat

The universe must have fed off this thread.
    Last night I had to have my picture taken in about 13 antique and vintage hats for the antique auction I work at.
    Many were not flattering :wideyed:

11. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

"SeaGoat, " Baseball hats is what all the men and some women wear around here.. I've never been able to pull them off (emphasis added)."

SeaGoat, hope you take this in the "I'm just kidding you" way it is meant.

Maybe if you get a larger size or at least an adjustable baseball hat . . . . ;)

SeaGoat likes this.
  12. yourturntoloveit

Seagoat, thank you for being a good sport (even if you don't have a baseball cap on at the moment). :happy: ;)

SeaGoat likes this.
  13. yourturntoloveit

Yes, vanished, as have three-piece [vested] suits.:(

SeaGoat likes this.
  14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

My Mom had a "Shady Brady" straw hat which I wound up with and LOVE, but would look OH SO RIDICULOUS on me here in Massachusetts!!!!! So it hangs on a mirror and looks great there too!!!! Got her Italian soft cowboy boots too!!!! YUMMM.....but don't wear them either.....same reason:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

SeaGoat and yourturntoloveit like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted