Featured Gas Pump

Discussion in 'Tools' started by RaspberryBeret, May 27, 2018.

1. RaspberryBeret

RaspberryBeret New Member

Hi! Hope this is a good place to post this question.

We have an ancient gas pump that's been in the yard quite a while exposed to the elements. Would anyone here have any idea as to how old this might be, and potential value?

The tank is hard to read, but it says Shotwell Tank Co, Indianapolis, In. And part of the pump reads Good Year T & R Co.

Thanks for any input!

Attached Files:

2. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum, RasberryBeret!
    Looks like a good place to post. Someone who can tell you about your gas pump will come along, I’m sure. :happy:

RaspberryBeret likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

All I really know is it's older than dirt and pre-WWII gas pumps area always worth money. From what little I saw, this is probably from the 1920s.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2018-5-27_18-5-14.jpeg

upload_2018-5-27_18-8-20.jpeg

looks like this type of early pump was marketed to homes and businesses.....
    before service stations were readily available..

5. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Shotwell Pump & Tank Company

Boston, Massachusetts

Indianapolis, Indiana

Not a great deal is known about the Shotwell Pump Company. They first advertised a pump in 1917 using an Indianapolis address. By 1925 the company now listed Boston first and Indianapolis second. Shotwell advertised that their pumps were ball bearing pumps. In 1928, Shotwell and the Bennett Pump Company were purchased by Service Station Equipment Company Ltd., of Toronto, Canada, and merged, along with ECO Tireflators, into the Bennett Pump Company. This put Bennett in the gas pump business. Bennett first advertised their pumps as Shotwell-Bennett pumps, but the Shotwell name was dropped before 1930.

Figtree3 and RaspberryBeret like this.
  6. komokwa

If it's not missing to many parts , and the glass is solid...I'd say give it a good clean to get any grime and dust off it.....and take some smart pics...because there's money there to collectors.....
    The Goodyear hose may be original to the pump.....& collectors would like that too...!!!

7. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

8. RaspberryBeret

Thanks for the welcome and man, you guys are resourceful! I just quizzed a family member and turns out my great-grandpa did have it installed in his home garage. (He was a doctor who made house calls.) So the 1920s makes sense. Thanks for giving me leaping off points everyone!

Figtree3, komokwa and Huntingtreasure like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That's right up the Antique Pickers (on TV....) alley!!!!!! If the garage is loaded with pick-able and unique stuff....you can always check them out!! Unlest most here don't like them.....I don't think they're too bad.......

10. komokwa

That's American Pickers...& I don't mind the show one bit !
    I think it's good entertainment, & I enjoy going cross the USA with them....
    they've even been to Montreal !

11. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. They go ga ga for these things.

Aquitaine and Huntingtreasure like this.
  12. komokwa

Pertroliana..:happy:

Huntingtreasure likes this.
  13. RaspberryBeret

That TV show came to my mind as well! However we don't have a shed full of these things - just this!

Would anyone have suggestions on what to do to it to make it look better, without devaluing it? Like, should I try and remove the rust? Pretty sure I'm not supposed to paint it...

14. evelyb30

I would wash it off. Some guys prefer them rust and all. If that were advertised in the right spot, you'd have gas and oil freaks jumping over each other to get to it first.

15. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

16. evelyb30

Draft saved Draft deleted