Featured Garage Sale Lalique ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bosko69, Jul 11, 2023.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Found this at a Garage Sale for $15,figured what the heck.Most Lalique are forgeries,copies old & new.
    This piece is 4 1/2" tall,2.7 pounds, 'R LALIQUE' 'FRANCE'.
    There's so many Lalique identification websites online,that next to Tiffany-it must be one of the most forged/copied antiques around.
    All ideas,opinions,etc are welcome-thanks !
    PS-The signatures look impressed in the pics,they are actually slightly raised & tiny (less than 1/8 of an inch). 'R Lalique' is on one side,'France' is on the other-all caps.

Lal1.jpg lal2.jpg Lal3.jpg Lal4.jpg Lal5.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2023
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

3. bosko69

MOS-The best photos yet of what seems to be an authentic piece,thanks !
    Here's a site for international Lalique collectors-it's exhaustive,in the investigation of originals & repros.
    In real life,the R LALIQUE and FRANCE are fairly subtle,i hyped them up a bit in editing.In real life-the whole piece has a softer,almost airbrushed feel between the sparkly clear glass & frosted parts.

https://rlalique.com/rene-lalique-tete-d-aigle-car-mascot-18594

Lalique Sig1.jpg Lalique Sig2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2023
  4. Matahari

Matahari Well-Known Member

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Flaming heck.

that’s right as right.

Chinoiserie and KSW like this.
  6. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Great find, Bosko!!

Chinoiserie, KSW and Lucille.b like this.
  7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Wow! It looks genuine to me! Does anyone know what these usually sell for? Just curious. So is this an expensive glass hood ornament? Where does it go on the car?

Chinoiserie, KSW and Lucille.b like this.
  8. bosko69

A real one went on a custom radiator cap on top of car's front grill,30's-early 40's.Rene died in 1945,after that the legit ones had a different mark.The sig's very subtle-i used a loupe.
    I'll send photos to the free authentication service-Lalique sells new ones still,and there's a Czech company that does (to my eyes) excellent repops.
    I couldn't ever afford Lalique & never handled it,so it's in the hands of the experts now.
    Thanks all for the kind comments.

ola402, Chinoiserie, KSW and 2 others like this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Wow, thats amazing! Great find! :)

Chinoiserie likes this.
  10. bosko69

Thanks KS-It was nice to find at that price,the truly weird (barely believable) thing,is that several dealers had pawed thru the place.Lalique sticks out like a sore thumb-I guess they were just in a hurry to hit the next sale.
    PS-That's why many 'Boots' & Fleas are better,you can scour the whole inventory in the first hour or two-or best yet,watch em' unpack !

KSW and Chinoiserie like this.
  11. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Gorgeous! All looks "right" about it to me too! Great find! :)

KSW and Chinoiserie like this.
  12. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

After his death his son dropped the R and just signed pieces lalique. Could well be an original Rene. If it has any chips or damage value wouod be significantly affected. If it is perfect then you may have a barn stormer. It's a bit more unusual than your average bowl so who knows.

There are a few examples on Ebay and Etsy if you want to have a butcher's.

KSW likes this.
  13. bosko69

More cash flow to feed my vampiric habit,this day & moment in time Fortuna was merciful (pending expert review) !

Lucille.b likes this.
  14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

My experience is that garage sale buyers are bottom feeders. They were probably put off by the $15.00 price tag. If it is not under $5.00, they probably would not look at it twice.

bercrystal, Chinoiserie and Lucille.b like this.
  15. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I've had the same experience. A few treasures passed by others because of the perceived off-putting price at garage sales. But if you can buy something for $25 and sell it for $200 you are in the money! When knowledge comes in handy. :cool:

16. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I guess you need the confidence and conviction in your own knowledge, to shell that amount of money and know that you are not buying tripe.

17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

You need to know what you're looking at. I've shelled out at garage sales before, but only when I knew what something was and either just wanted it or knew it was worth a lot more.

Draft saved Draft deleted