Featured Furniture History

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Drew, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Not often considered in the manufacture of furniture... the brief but remarkable era of console radio cabinet production, 1925-40. Many were extraordinary in terms of quality and design. The revolution of radio exploded in the 20's and furniture manufactures met the challenge with what today would be considered dated technology - hand drawn blueprints, templates, jigs and hand assembly on a massive scale. A photo of A 1932 Grigby-Grunow's 'Majestic #307', Chicago, Ill, USA. - having remarkable attention to detail, including back-lit stained glass. . . it would have been the most valuable item a family owned, next to their car. majestic-ch300A (1).jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, Drew.
    For joy!:happy:

NewEngland and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have an 1929 National Geographic magazine.
    There is one advertisement for a brand new Cadillac for 750 dollars. Just three pages away is one for an RCA radio for 1200 dollars.
    greg

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

musta bin a CHEAP Caddy !!!!! heehehehe!!!!!

6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

7. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

what's a "radio"?

said my 16 y.o. godson's kid.............................

8. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

I got an Atwater Kent, Kiel table radio at the thrift for $20. this past summer. The power cord goes through a rear leg and there’s an extra outlet on the other rear leg, circa 1929. Ended up giving it to a neighbor who fell in love with it and who has been very accommodating with the use of her guest house for our overflow guests.
    3BEEF04B-BE44-4968-9667-394B4F59AF48.jpeg
    29FA2EBE-7554-4F89-BC28-2A039DC8BCE6.jpeg
    47599350-AA0C-4E3F-A5B4-0C4EAC53E8EE.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted