Funky bentwood bench

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by nology, Oct 8, 2016.

1. nology

nology Active Member

Going to pickup this odd looking thing tomorrow. Looks to be maybe from the 70s or 80s. Anyone ever seen one before? 00w0w_j9iAs63hb77_600x450.jpg

2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I've seen similar, but of course now I can't google one up to save myself. :rolleyes:

How is it attached to the "runners"?

Oh, wait, you're picking it up today. Show us more pictures when you get it please! :shame:

3. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Looks like a pew from one of those "A-Frame" modern churches that sprang up in the 1960's. Definitely not designed for comfort, and with only the photo as a guide, it appears to be a bit large/long for standard domestic use.

4. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I just noticed something about the armrests. One is positioned so that a person's arm would be "outside" the bench/pew. The other armrest is positioned so that a person's arm would be "inside" the bench/pew.

I'm "guessing" that would work well for a church (or other building) with only a center aisle/passageway . . . not for a church with a "center" and "side" aisles.

Of course there is the possibility that I have "overthought" this bench/pew. :confused: :rolleyes:

5. Mansons2005

I see what you are seeing/saying, and i thought that they were asymmetrical at first as well. Then I drew the conclusion that they are actually the same (mirrored) and what I was seeing was a result of the angle at which the photo was taken.

Aquitaine and yourturntoloveit like this.
  6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Looks to me like a '60s-'70s reception/waiting room bench - can recall sitting on similar...

~Cheryl

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  7. Mansons2005

In lieu of a pew, it may be a bench to lighten wrench and lessen the load of a departing rail road............

That is, it could be from a train waiting room.............

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, whichever it may be, the bentwood looks to be in GREAT shape!!

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think this could be from any time post-50s. Obviously some kind of contract furniture and could have been made for any situation where people congregate. Would think there should be some kind of label on it. Would not be surprised to find that the wooden skids were added later and this was intended to bolt to the floor.

10. nology

nology Active Member

Unfortunately this was too large to fit in my Jeep and I couldn't secure another vehicle to transport this in a timely manor. Didn't want to make the seller sit on it waiting for me... pun intended.

11. Mansons2005

Major bummer, man...........it is way cool..............

Draft saved Draft deleted