Featured Fun Confederate bills

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by stracci, Jul 3, 2024 at 2:25 PM.

1. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

When going through deceased mother- in-laws home, we came across Grandpa's small coin collection.
    There was an assortment of common worldwide coins, and some other paper money.
    But these Confederate notes were exciting to find!
    When I was a kid, I had a meager coin collection, and I had some replica Confederate bills, which were obvious reproductions. So finally getting my hands on some real ones is a thrill!

I don't think they're worth much, but they are fun to look at and imagine who handled them all those years ago.
    The paper is very thin. The ten is quite worn, but the 20 is in better shape.
    image.jpg

image.jpg

It's interesting that they were numbered and signed by hand.
    Here you can easily see how the ink dried on the signature.
    image.jpg

And the red arrow shows the down stroke from signature of the upper bill before the sheet was cut.
    image~2.jpg

Grandpa was doing research based on this price guide dated 1951
    image.jpg

Last edited: Jul 3, 2024 at 4:57 PM
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

i had a confederate $10 bill long ago. It disappeared along with my Atocha doubloon (thieving roommate) . I could have gotten another over the years but mine had come from my grandpa,born in Ga in 1901 . His dad may very well have carried it. The Confederacy is apparently a cancel culture favorite,perhaps rightfully so . But you cant erase history. A quick look online seems like they still sell,but condition is everything.

Potteryplease, Marote and stracci like this.
  3. stracci

I remember you mentioning the loss of the Atocha coin. How awful!

Aquitaine, johnnycb09 and Marote like this.
  4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with teaching about the Civil War or anything for that matter. However, I do have a very large problem with refusing to teach the whole truth about everything about the subjects, not some white-washed half-truths. My quote below says it all.

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Dont read about Florida educational system then,your head will explode. Ive been wanting to flee for so long,but life....

6. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

A certain person's idea of how history should be taught is definitely at the top of the list. :facepalm::banghead::banghead::banghead:

pearlsnblume and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

With the destruction of our public education system in Florida, which has now bled over into our University’s, I hope my UF & U of Tampa graduates degrees will still be something worthy for them. We can not & must not tolerate when this is done. I encourage all college aged kids not to attend here for this reason. Sad what an ignorant group of people have done.

8. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

@johnnycb09 I am stuck here as well. Because life happens.

pearlsnblume, komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. stracci

I like these items because they are of historical interest to me. I'm not going to disregard them for political reasons.
    Ps, I am happy to live in a very blue state.

10. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

I would not either. You are lucky, I miss my blue state.

pearlsnblume, stracci and johnnycb09 like this.
  11. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

It is sad that too many think they know better and their ideas are the only ideas.
    Some in our gov't need to get their brains checked.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I think the people that vote them into office...... need a lobotomy !

johnnycb09 and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted