from which period is the chair?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Irenka, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

Hello,
    This chair has been annoying me for a few days now, I can’t figure out when it was made it could be very old or it could be mid century ... i bought it in Vienna, it is from chery wood, it has no makers mark ... What do you all think about it?

Thank you

stol5 (Small).jpg stol7 (Small).jpg stol6 (Small).jpg stol3 (Small).jpg

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

arts & crafts...... maybe...?

Irenka and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  3. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

I was looking for if it’s arts and crafts. the shapes are similar, but not too similar ... I don't even know how to look for it anymore.. i am searching desperately and i even typed antique wooden armchair with holes in the seat - founds only the loo armchair:banghead:

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

5. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Your pics are all from far away. Can’t see construction details well. Definitely not older than 20th century.

Exposed tongue and groove in the seat along with silly opening, so I’m guessing the seat was replaced, and it used to be solid, or upholstered, or ? A good chair maker wouldn’t piece together wood and show exposed t&g like that unless they were making some sort of design statement. But without closeup of bottom underneath, who can say?

The back looks strange too, are the spindles a different color? Do they look repainted or replaced? Maybe the spindles are a replacement too, possibly back was upholstered originally also?

6. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

Unfortunatly i dont have it here to do some more pictures... it is made some what naive, so i dont think is a work of some well known maker maybe someone who just started the craft.. it is strange that if that was the case - that the seat was replaced, where did they found exactly the same wood? ooh this chair...

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

My gut reaction is that this is an Asian piece. The seat, in particular, makes me think this. Although the wood does look like cherry, I suspect it is some sort of Asian hardwood. Some better pics might help to confirm this.

8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Definitely need better pics. My gut reaction is that this chair is not antique, or even very old.

9. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

Unfortunatly i cant take more pictures... i had shoot the pictures and than buried chair in a warehouse, it took me a while to take the chair to mind, i was i little bit afraid of it because i didnt know anything... the man who sold it to me told me it was bidermair piece which i didnt believe it, but anyway lovely chair so we bought it...and maybe we will regret buying it

10. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Biedermeier was once used very loosely to mean simple and undecorated, and this it probably how your dealer meant it. If at all old and indeed local, could be someone's minimalist take on the Arts-and-Crafts-to-Jugendstil concept (but IMHO a very unsinspired take--sorry). Also, it looks to me as if it originally had a drop-in seat. I doubt it is of any commercial value. Better luck the next time!

Figtree3 and Irenka like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted