Featured FROM ESTATE OF DEA AGENT - LARGE KNIFE ON DEA PLAQUE; WHAT KIND OF KNIFE IS IT?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Mar 25, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a estate sale of a former DEA agent who'd passed away & the wife was selling everything before selling house and getting a smaller condo.
    She didn't remember what it was presented to her husband for & sold it to me only after taking name plaque off.
    Anyone know what kind of knife this is? Or where it came from?Looks like a Bowie? It has no markings (No Made in China or Pakistan either thank goodness) except the DEA shield and their logo? engraved into the blade.
    The blade measures 12" long and the knife is 17" long total. Also, the blade is very sharp!
    Thanks - I appreciate any help.
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY KNIFE DEA PRESENTATION 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY KNIFE DEA PRESENTATION 1AAAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY KNIFE DEA PRESENTATION 4AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY KNIFE DEA PRESENTATION 6AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY KNIFE DEA PRESENTATION 6AAAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY KNIFE DEA PRESENTATION 5AA.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's too bad....as the name association would help the knives value.
    Can you flip it to see any marks on the other side ??
    Smokin hot knife....btw !!!

3. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

That is a Survival Knife (Rambo Style!!)..it has the drop/clip point of a Bowie...Very Cool!!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. journeymagazine

I'd have to pull wires/clips holding it to plaque to see other side - they go into wood but don't come out the other side.
    DEA - maybe middle east knife? Maybe it came from a case he helped with?
    Coolest knife I've seen in a while - and since it was Sunday/last day of estate sale, she sold it to me for $50! I'd have paid that even if a china copy just because of the DEA presentation/look!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

I would have to say , nice knife , and as far as i know ,anything previously own by police, is illegal to own as a citizen ,and can be misconstrued as impersonating a police officer . if it is just for decoration then you should be alright , ask your local police if it is okay to have it , they will know .

6. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

This is just wrong and is very misleading information, If you take a badge or other identifier on it AND attempt to pass yourself off as a Police Officer you've got some problems but just because an item was owned or possessed by law enforcement doesn't mean having it is illegal.

7. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

+1!
    What about collecting police items...

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. journeymagazine

I don't think anyone would mistake this for police issued equipment!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. lloyd249

a friend of mine got busted for having police issued ammo and a vest and is doing the time right now ..

10. lloyd249

eBay[​IMG] Customer Service

4 min article
    Police-related items policy

To help prevent the impersonation of law enforcement officers, we don't allow certain police-related items to be listed on eBay.

Find out more about our rules and regulations about selling police-related items on eBay.

Frequently Asked Questions

Are all police items prohibited on eBay?
    Generally, we don't allow listings of law enforcement badges, or official law enforcement equipment from any public entity. This also applies to police badges and official equipment from federal, state, or local law enforcement agencies in the US.

However, there are some exceptions. See our complete guidelines below for more information.
    there are exception yes

11. kristiaan

Quiet logical ! And rather troubling that someone wouldn't understand what this is all about...

lloyd249 likes this.
  12. lloyd249

some yes , a hat, badge, or weapons no . as long as you don't try to use it , it is not a crime if know one knows lol

13. lloyd249

like i suggested , take it to the police and they will tell you . it does look like it is just a decorative DEA item but it won't hurt to check .

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  14. lloyd249

we are not allowed to have any defencive weapons in Canada , no stun guns , or pepper spray ,batons or knifes over 4 inches.

15. kristiaan

Every country law is different regarding this (an other!!!) matter(s).
    I recon the initial poster lives and bought it in the US.

16. lloyd249

the general public is , not allowed to have law enforcement issued weapons .

17. kristiaan

OMG! And what about 19 th century elaborated and decorated battons ?

18. lloyd249

the key word here is "government" issued, if in fact it is just decorative it's alright .

19. lloyd249

i have a hat, and a shoulder badge,and a couple other things (no weapons lol) , that the thrift store gave me because they new they couldn't sell it legally.

20. lloyd249

some states allow battens ,stun guns and pepper spray . none of those are legal in canada and are on the prohibited weapons list . if it was "government issued" to law enforcement , then no. time means nothing to the cops ,to them you just stayed off execution lol .

Draft saved Draft deleted