Friend needs help with eagle mark on porcelain

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by birgittaw, Aug 26, 2014.

1. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

She has looked for this mark, and I have also -- but all I'm finding are Habsburg/Russian double eagles and this is not quite it since there are two eagles, a crown and what looks to be a B in the shield. Don't think it's Bonapart. Looks like a jar and if it is, no top or evidence of one having been there. 4" high and decoration is raised as is the backstamp. Any thoughts gratefully appreciated!
    eagle.jpg eagle2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    yourturntoloveit likes this.
  2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Where's Fig? We need her to translate that initial in the shield for us, if, as looks likely, it's Russian. I see some writing impressed on the banner, but looks too faint to decipher.

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Here I am... the initial on the shield might be a B in the Roman alphabet, or it might be a B (V) in the Cyrillic alphabet. It does seem difficult to search two eagles and a shield through Google, as I also keep getting the double-headed eagles. And this is not that. So it seems less likely to me that it is Russian.

Can you read any of the letters on the banner or ribbon below the eagles' feet?

4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

5. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

6. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Good job, Janetp! I couldn't make out the "V" in the "VB." Thanks for coming to our rescue, Fig, even though it's not Russian!

7. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

Thank you thank you! Great job Janetp --so helpful! The owner tried for months to find it, and finally put it away for later. I am, and so is my friend, so grateful for your help! May I add that once again, this group comes to the rescue in record time! Kudos to all....

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Great, janetpjohn! It's pretty old - that will be good for birgittaw's friend, if selling.

9. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Is the cup/jar salt glaze ?

Draft saved Draft deleted