Friday Finds - 2 Jorge Dunn Paintings + a old Cowboy's(?) Leather Saddle Scabbard for Rifle

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jul 7, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Went to the local thrift store today to try to find something that would 'pop' as the first photo in my weekend yard sale post - and found what looks like a cowboy's saddle scabbard for his winchester (rifle of choice in old west days!).

Can anyone tell how old it is? It's the only one I've found with a buckle to close end - others are zippers, snaps or left open. Also it just has brass? rings to tie it to a saddle - no straps; which makes me hopeful it's older!

My other find were 2 paintings by Panamanian artist Jorge Dunn. Googling him I found this short bio:

Brief info
    For decades, Dunn had labored humbly outside Paitilla's Arrocha Pharmacy and had sold his canvas works in other well-trafficked areas in the capital and the old Canal Zone. Dunn was the son of a gifted West Indian family that had immigrated to the isthmus at the beginning of the twentieth century. His father was a Jamaican shoe designer, and his brother Eugenio (1917-1999) was also a well-known painter. Several other members of the Dunn clan have since gone on to become accomplished artists.

Dunn (1924-2007) had learned to paint through his own efforts, and while he never fully gained the cultural elite's recognition, he did attract hundreds of more ordinary collectors who avidly purchased his cadenced renditions of Panama's tinanjas, "dancing bottles," sailboats, fish, and musical instruments, as well as his eye-catching visions of El Chorillo and the Interior.

I seem to have one of his sailboats & I'm guessing the one with trees is one of his 'eye-catching visions of El Chorillo and the Interior' (Interior meaning the forest or woods of Panama?) - because the colors of that one are ... eye catching for sure!

Wishing you all a happy week-end!

ART PAINTING JORGE DUNN SAIL BOATS 1AA.jpg ART PAINTING JORGE DUNN SAIL BOATS 4AA.jpg ART PAINTING JORGE DUNN TREES 2AA.jpg ART PAINTING JORGE DUNN TREES 3AA.jpg
    SPORT RIFLE SCABBARD 3AAA.jpg SPORT RIFLE SCABBARD 3BAA.jpg SPORT RIFLE SCABBARD 3CAA.jpg SPORT RIFLE SCABBARD 3GAA.jpg

Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Wow! He's a great colorist! Here's information on El Chorrillo. Notice it was a community of immigrants, many from the Antilles. In Spanish, "el interior" means the interior of the country and implies a less-populated area. Wonder if those are meant to be trumpet trees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Chorrillo

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. journeymagazine

Incredible colors!
    Thanks Debora

4. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Woof, I'm thinking the Voirin might have been a fluke

5. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

6. journeymagazine

You don't like these finds?

7. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Not the paintings mate no, but no excuse for me being rude about them though

I've got an acid tongue after drinking a few !!

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Journey, if they sell for a profit they're a good buy.;)

9. journeymagazine

The sailboats are ok, but the colors on the trees are great!

Draft saved Draft deleted