Featured Friday Find - 6ft metal sculpture by renown Haitian artist Serge Jolimeau + carved skull signed MAO?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jan 15, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I saw this large sculpture at a friend's thrift store Fri. I found a signature at the bottom & found out the artist was a well known Haitian artist named Serge Jolimeau (From Indigo Art Gallery:
    Today he is one of Haiti’s two (along with Bien-Aimé) leading metal sculptors. Jolimeau's work has been exhibited internationally and is published in Where Art is Joy (Rodman, 1988), Forgerons duVodou/ Voodoo Blacksmiths (Foubert, 1990), and A Haitian Celebration: Art and Culture (Stebich, 1992).

In 2009, Serge Jolimeau created a commemorative work for the Clinton Global Citizen Awards. His works have been exhibited in Switzerland, Mexico, Germany, the United States and France, in such places as the Abbaye de Daoulas, the Halle Saint-Pierre, the Grand Palais and the Musée du Montparnasse. His work is part of the permanent collections at the Lowe Museum, the Waterloo Museum, the Brooklyn Museum of Art, the Davenport Museum, the Milwaukee Art Museum, Le Centre d’Art, the Musée d’Art Haïtien du Collège Saint-Pierre and the Musée de Panthéon National Haïtien.)

I paid $400 but it was such a cool looking piece I don't care if it sells right away!

A better deal was a carved skull with a signature/stamp MAO? I paid $10 for.
    Is it MAO or MA w/copyright symbol? Has anyone heard of this artist?

Hope you enjoy these!

ART SCULPTURE HAITIAN METAL SERGE JOLIMEAS 2AA.jpg ART SCULPTURE HAITIAN METAL SERGE JOLIMEAS 2AAA.jpg ART SCULPTURE HAITIAN METAL SERGE JOLIMEAS 4AA.jpg ART SCULPTURE HAITIAN METAL SERGE JOLIMEAS 6AA.jpg

ART CARVED SKULL WOOD 1AA.jpg ART CARVED SKULL WOOD 2AA.jpg ART CARVED SKULL WOOD 2AAA.jpg ART CARVED SKULL WOOD 3AA.jpg ART CARVED SKULL WOOD 8AAA.jpg ART CARVED SKULL WOOD 9AA.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Love the Jolimeau piece, journey.:)

3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Journey-You've started doing your own homework on some of these fine pieces.The personal journey & joy of discovery-plus a good work out for yr brain.Nice piece & great research work bro !

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Loving the Jolimeau !

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Love the sculpture and less suggestive than some others so hopefully would have wide appeal.

The other I was thinking could be MR _.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  6. journeymagazine

Thanks -it helped kick start me when he said it was $400; my girlfriend says I'm so tight I squeak when I walk - so spending that much probably made me look harder!

7. bosko69

We're all betting folks here Journey-got to study the field to even out the 'house odds'.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  8. bosko69

That Haitian Art's powerful stuff & you sir are in a perfect place to find it !

johnnycb09 likes this.
  9. journeymagazine

And to sell it hopefully - it's just under 6ft tall so mailing it would be expensive! (I'm going to post on eBay as local pick up only unless buyer arranges shipping.)

johnnycb09 likes this.
  10. bosko69

Can Americans travel to Haiti and buy direct from the Artist ? Miami would be a great place for a gallery Journey.

11. journeymagazine

Yes - and there are a lot of small gallerys especially in a area that's become a kind of artistic south beach called Wynnwood.

12. bosko69

I'd imagine there's some interesting Tribal Art in Miami.Some of my favorite ethnic art from the Caribbean was created by the Taino Civilization.
    Frm Wiki-"Taino tribes lived in Cuba, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Haiti, Puerto Rico, the Bahamas, & the northern Lesser Antilles. The Lucayan branch of the Taíno were the first New World peoples encountered by Christopher Columbus, in the Bahama Archipelago on October 12, 1492."
    Google 'Taino + Images'-fascinating stuff.Many are bad modern reproductions,but some recent pieces are created by artists w/ a tribal affiliation. The odds of finding a 700 yr old Pre-Columbian original would be very slim.
    Buy,enjoy,but don't count on getting a museum-quality antiquity for $200 !

journeymagazine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted