Featured French Quartz Crystal earrings

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by scoutshouse, Aug 19, 2024.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Hi, everyone!

I've been down so deep into health and family, but was hoping someone could help me talk myself into or out of these earrings as a gift for myself.

I've had one vintage necklace of baguette cut crystals. In the right light, you could see them from across the room, they were that bright.

I put them on ebay and i was surprised to see them sell within a day. I don't think they were anywhere near the age of these but still lovely.

I'd love to hear opinions on these. They're photographed beautifully, but I wonder if they will have that glow without direct light/sunlight.

I don't know what "mounted on a straw" means, or what "sleeper earrings" could be. Something you can wear 24/7?

They are over 500 USD

Thanks! And I hope all is extremely well with everybody ❤️

Here's their copy:
    Very rare old French sleeper earrings from the first half of the 19th century in pink gold (type 1 eagle's head hallmark used between 1838 and 1847, maker's hallmark and another unidentified hallmark) silver and cut rock crystal in the shape of an old cushion set on a paillon.
    Magnificent and rare French Georgian style earrings, but unlike Anglo-Saxon Georgians, the stones are not made of glass paste but of natural rock crystal.
    These rock crystals are cut in such a way as to magnify their brilliance according to the know-how of the time and mounted on a straw: they sparkle with a thousand lights.
    The mix of rose gold and silver is typical of antique French jewelry.
    Very beautiful old work for a surprisingly modern look of these almost 200 year old earrings.
    Length: 1.5 cm, diameter of stones: 0.7 cm
    Weight of the pair: 2.1 g Screenshot_20240819_134752_Facebook.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

500..... take a spa weekend......& reenergize !

Dessert58, kyratango and scoutshouse like this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Is the culet flat or pointed?

4. scoutshouse

5. scoutshouse

I get that, komokwa <3
    In the midst of all this, i miss the comfort of my old clawfoot bathtub so much! So, I'm planning to book a room at a local Japanese hotel with a soaking tub, and even considering sensory deprivation. It's the ❤️

6. scoutshouse

Last edited: Aug 19, 2024
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Can't help on the earrings, but it's nice to see you @scoutshouse! :)

8. scoutshouse

9. komokwa

that's the ticket......leave the sparklers alone ..

Dessert58 and scoutshouse like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Welcome back!

kyratango and scoutshouse like this.
  11. scoutshouse

Hi, evelyb!

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome back scouts!:singing::happy: Sorry to hear about your health and family issues. Take good care of yourself.:kiss:
    "Straw" is google's translation of "paillon", which in this case means foil backed.
    "Sleeper earrings" is the translation of "dormeuses", small earrings with a closed rounded hook, so you can leave them in at night without getting stabbed in the neck.;)

They aren't Georgian btw, but they are antique and very beautiful.
    Plus shipping and import tax.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2024
    Dessert58, komokwa, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  13. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Great to see you back Scouthouse, and hope things are going better.

I'm not against a jewelry purchase for a reward. If someone asked me if I wanted an hour massage or a $200 Miriam Haskell necklace, it would be the necklace. Jewelry is something you'll have forever. (Ideally in this hypothetical, the person offering would offer both the necklace and the massage, but I digress...)

I'm not an expert on this antique type of earring. I guess I'd wonder how they'd fit on the ear. For example, will they lay well, will they fit your earlobe perfectly in a way to catch the light nicely? Too bad you couldn't try them on. If you do wind up considering them, maybe see if they offer returns if not satisfied.

Glad to see you back!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2024
    KSW, komokwa, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  14. komokwa

Eeee, ummm,

the jewelry will sit in a box...... the massage will refresh u and make you feel great.... great enuf to hunt for more jewelry !!!!;)

Lucille.b likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

You can leave dormeuses in for as long as you like, for the rest of your life even.;)

Dessert58, Lucille.b, KSW and 2 others like this.
  16. Satin In A Coffin

Satin In A Coffin Well-Known Member

Foil backing usually can make things flash and sparkle from across the room. They are gorgeous but I would be cautious of the price as well. Feels steep.

scoutshouse and Lucille.b like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

The price is not unusual. These aren't paste, but set with good quality rock crystal.
    My main issue would be those back to front hooks, I can never manage those.:arghh:

scoutshouse likes this.
  18. Satin In A Coffin

Satin In A Coffin Well-Known Member

Oh, are these the ones with the tiny little "tooth" that clicks into place? I have some, that I love but once I get them on I have the hardest time getting them off again! I guess you really can leave them on for the rest of your life. Haha

Figtree3, scoutshouse and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Regular leverback earrings have that too, but they go front to back. I can manage those, and they are actually my favourite type.
    But these ones you have to push through from the back of the earlobe. Somehow they always end up lost on their way, inside my earlobe.:inpain::nurse:

scoutshouse likes this.
  20. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

owowow. And they call me crazy for wearing screwbacks. Yike.

scoutshouse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted