French pottery - Quimper fakes?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KylieS, Jul 27, 2021.

1. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Hello I'm new here and hoping for some help with a local French pottery problem.

I've been 'brocanting' here in SW France for the past 3 years. Along the way I've picked up several pieces of pottery that look to be Quimper by design, but which don't bear any marks at all.

One of the first pieces (inherited when I brought my house here) has Meyssac pottery painted on. It's definitely made for a tourist market locally. There's a possibility it could be the same pottery. However the glazes are really different and the subjects too.

Is it possible to have unsigned Quimper? And where were the fakes being produced? If it's local to me I might have my answer...

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. And BTW I've only paid a few euros at most for each piece so don't worry about disappointing me ;)

Thanks so much!

20210727_140513.jpg

2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

You will need to show the backs too KylieS.

3. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Yes sorry I tried to attach more images but got stuck...here are the backs... 20210727_140609.jpg

4. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I wish I knew the answer. They are very pretty plates.

Others will be along..................

Tanya likes this.
  6. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Also, as an aside, does anyone happen to know a term for the shape of these plates? I mean the scalloped edges, is there a particular name to describe this?

judy likes this.
  7. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Thanks Judy! I like them and they are nicely painted. But just something about the style of painting makes me feel like they’re not that old...seventies would be my guess just based on the stylistic elements. Don't really know why I think that though!

judy likes this.
  8. judy

judy Well-Known Member

9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

10. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

DizzyDaff likes this.
  12. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Yes I have read this too - the thing is this is from the modern pottery which doesn't mean all the historical stuff was definitely marked - I have read that it's only after 1870 that this type of pottery would reliably be marked and before that they would often just put a paper label on them! There are also other potteries not just HB (though they are the most well known) so they couldn't necessarily give the definitive answer for all pieces produced in the region. I think this text is protecting their contemporary market rather than looking at historical pieces.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    judy likes this.
  13. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

I found this good resource too - but still doesn't exactly answer my questions - no substitute for an expert eye to look them over IMO!

https://oldquimper.com/factory-marks.html

judy likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd not call them fakes, more in the style of.

Gadrooned is the word.

DizzyDaff and judy like this.
  15. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Thank you for the word!

Perhaps I could use "homage to..." when describing them too ;) you don't happen to have any clue as to where they might have been made?

judy likes this.
  16. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I thought gadroon was more like a piecrust crimp or rope edge.

judy likes this.
  17. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Wikipedia seems to agree with you... but, judging from an image search based on the term, people on etsy and ebay are using it for this plate form.

Hmmm...more comments / controversy welcome ... :joyful: either way, I'm glad to have learnt a new word for scrabble :bookworm:

judy likes this.
  18. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

I just found this description used by a Quimper expert on a similar shaped plate...

"...scallop-edged or festonnée-form..." so maybe that's it!

Seriously, the French have a word to differentiate everything object-wise so I knew it would be around somewhere

DizzyDaff and judy like this.
  19. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

20. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Yes, but in the description of the listing, they have a ? after Quimper Malicorne, so it's a guess.

judy and Tanya like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted