French etching artist possible ID

Discussion in 'Art' started by 916Bulldogs123, Jul 3, 2017.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Happy fourth of July everyone.

I came across these miniature etchings last week and at first thought they were by the same artist. the first one is by Leopold robin and the second one most of the printing of the name has no ink. I was hoping someone might recognize the artist.
    Both are hand colored and of the cathedral in Strasbourg measuring 3 1/4" x 5 1/2"
    Thank you in advance for any and all information.

Mike

atree 17799.jpg atree 17804.jpg
    atree 17805.jpg
    atree 17800.jpg
    aaaaaaa.JPG

kyratango and scoutshouse like this.
  2. benbenny007

benbenny007 I buy rubbish, and sell antiques

Are you sure that these are original engravings and not reprints of the originals?

They look like copper etchings to me. But can't see any embossing marks of the plate on your works.

A engraving is also usaly double signed by the artist. One time in the plate itself (engraved) and one time in pencil or such.

Also can not see a edition. Most of the time A respected artist would limit his works to a certain edition. This would also be written in pencil underneed the work, like for example 3/50 (print number 3 of a limit edition of 50)

These are some original works of leopold.robin. You can see the deep embossed plate marks on the side.

leopold-robin-art-deco-etching-st-nicolas-bu-chardonnet-1920-s-[2]-661-p.jpg 775267864_tp.jpg

2ac2360fbb8d327a7f74e2b6d6bced7f.jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    Any Jewelry, judy and scoutshouse like this.
  3. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I never said in my original post that they were original engravings. I was only asking for possible ID of the one etching. they both have visible plate marks that are very light. I pretty much know what i have and was really only looking for that. But i do appreciate the refresher course on Original vs reprints of engravings/ etchings.

Mikey

4. architrave

architrave Well-Known Member

Numbered editions were certainly not the rule in the earlier part of the 20th century.

Draft saved Draft deleted