Featured French Brocade - 19th C in the style of Jean Revel

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by scoutshouse, Oct 30, 2017.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

My friend was told quite a while back that this was a very good 19th Century "copy of" or "in the style of Jean Revel" designer (1684-1751), the ‘Raphael of silk design’.

Here's a bio on Revel from the V&A Museum. There's no catalog of his designs, so no real way to verify.

I opened the back, to see if there were any clues how it was made. Not really revealing to me - not an expert.

As over-the-top as I thought this was (up close), it's kind of sedate or muted compared to some of his other designs. But it's extremely pretty and I guess the value is in its eye appeal, condition and size.

It's in really beautiful condition, fairly large at 4' x 7'. Backed with silk and edged with Victorian machine made soutache edging or rick-rack.

Thanks, ya'lls - any input appreciated ;)

Norma_Textile-17.jpg
    Norma_Textile-18.jpg
    Norma_Textile-19.jpg
    Norma_Textile-20.jpg
    Norma_Textile-24.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

That's really lovely.

scoutshouse likes this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't know anything about this stuff, but that design appears very symmetrical. If you compare a couple instances of the small details that repeat, how exactly they are replicated might indicate whether it's hand work or machine work. There will be more variation in hand work.

I'm not sure that 18th C work (or earlier) would be slavishly symmetrical.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  4. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Yes, I can check between patterns, that's a good suggestion...

I'm sure it's later, bit I was hoping maybe it was a true repro of one of Revel's designs.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted