Framing question

Discussion in 'Art' started by KosmoCramer, Sep 10, 2018.

1. KosmoCramer

KosmoCramer Active Member

hello all... I have a lithograph art print I want to frame. The actual image itself will show nicely through 11x14 matting .. but for whatever reason the actual full piece of paper is an odd size.. too wide to fit in a 16x20 frame.

Since I don’t know much about art is that normal? Also being that the image portion itself will show through an 11x14 matting I believe it would look awkward if I got a custom frame to House the whole piece of paper.

Is it ok to fold the paper (blank areas only - not the actual image) to fit inside a 16x20 frame with 11x14 matting?

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The ideal treatment is to avoid altering the original artwork in any way. That said, it depends on the value of the lithograph and whether you want it to maintain its value (or possibly increase in value) in the future. If it is a $100 lithograph by an unimportant artist, go ahead and make it fit an inexpensive frame. Folding the edges is less destructive than actually trimming them off to fit, as it at least preserves any important characteristics like watermarks or deckle edges. If it is worth much more, or by a significant artist, better to spring for a custom frame.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

If you just like it for decor....fold it trim it, it doesn't matter.
    For re-sale , any alteration to the print ruins it's collectors value.

During my many years of framing 1st nations prints it was agonizing to place a $60 silkscreen print in a simple frame that still cost me $112 even at wholesale !
    Then I had to sell it without doubling up on the frame price !!
    Many was the time that I sold a $100 print unframed.....& the client would return, complaining to me about their framer asking $250 to frame that print !!

There were also times when folks would want to sell me their older framed prints, some of which commanded now , much higher prices than when sold as tourist items in the 60's and 70's.
    For the majority....the prints were in poor condition.....because the frames were so cheap & poorly framed using bad tape, acid mats , cardboard backing.....but I also found that the size of the original print now did not match what was being brought before me....! :wacky:
    Many , of what I saw were prints that had been trimmed ,folded, & cut up to either hide damage or mainly , just to fit smaller frames.
    I rejected the majority....because for me , they were impossible to sell.

Draft saved Draft deleted