Framed paper, possibly Persian, what is this?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lucille.b, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Wasn't sure art was the right category. Any idea what this is? It seems hand done to my eye. Inside mat, paper measures approx 13x10". This is behind glass so photos have a tiny bit of glare. Thanks for taking a look!

dispic1.jpg dispic3.jpg dispic2.jpg dispic5.jpg dispic4.jpg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Although it doesn't seem miniature it is called a Mughal miniature painting. Looks old, I've done really well with these in the past but I haven't had any recently to know how well they sell now.

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't think it is particularly fine, though it is better than some. Nor do I think it is likely very old. Painting of this type is usually touristy... an imitation of much older (and higher quality) art. Sometimes old paper is used, sometimes pages from old books.

The borders are very shaky, the foliage summarily painted. It has a generally hasty look to it.

I can very easily be wrong.

4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thanks Anund and Moreotherstuff, I appreciate you both taking a look.

I think it might be older, but agree a bit hastily painted in spots, for example the bushes. But even the tiny tree blossoms would have taken some patience, overall there is a fair amount of work in this.

It was a thrift purchase, I could see it was hand painted, not just some copy or print so picked it up for $6. There was one other piece of info, there is a "thank you" dedication on the reverse, so someone purchased this piece and framed it as a gift. The painting looks a bit older to me, it has a few creases, there is a tea or coffee stain, just seems like someone at some point thought to be interesting enough to frame since it was framed with these imperfections.

If I can find out what the text says, that might be an additional clue!

All thoughts appreciated. Thank you.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think it really is Persian; that's Farsi, and as far as I know Iran is the only country that uses the script. It may not be as old as it wants to be, but it's worth more than $6.

6. rro2000

rro2000 Active Member

Lucille, I'll be visiting with my brother-in-law this coming week and he is originally
    from Iran. I'll have him take a look at it.

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I had this picture on old paper:

PaintingWatercolorGouachePersianMiniatureBokkIllustrationManCamelWomanSedanChairPortraitFormat-c.jpg

PaintingWatercolorGouachePersianMiniatureBokkIllustrationManCamelWomanSedanChairPortraitFormat-e.jpg

PaintingWatercolorGouachePersianMiniatureBokkIllustrationManCamelWomanSedanChairPortraitFormat-g.jpg

PaintingWatercolorGouachePersianMiniatureBokkIllustrationManCamelWomanSedanChairPortraitFormat-h.jpg

PaintingWatercolorGouachePersianMiniatureBokkIllustrationManCamelWomanSedanChairPortraitFormat-j.jpg

I think yours might be marginally better than this... but only marginally. The point is that this is on old paper. It's one of 4 paintings, all obviously from the same hand. Two of then are painted on old paper; the other two are on new card. That means that they are all new, regardless of what they are painted on. I'm not saying this must be the case for your painting. I'm only illustrating that it does happen.

8. rro2000

rro2000 Active Member

Lucille, B-I-L says your print is Persian from the Saljoughian Dynasty. The writing
    is poetry.
    Moreotherstuff, your print is from India. No other info, sorry.

9. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I think it's interesting that in the first piece, the men's faces look almost identical. I wonder if it's something done traditionally or an indication of a less-skilled artist or a work done quickly?

Draft saved Draft deleted