Found this pickers jewelry site via Ebay-interesting or total BS ?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by bosko69, Aug 28, 2023.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I quickly watched one of Thrift Store picking vids yesterday & found it interesting.I'm sure there's Joolies here who could pick rings around her ! But there's some 70's (& newer) stuff she grabbed,that to me were pure @#*%-that she said were trendy & marketable.
    She could be total BS,but as i say,for me it was intriguing.

https://www.youtube.com/@HUDSONVINTAGE

IvaPan and Bronwen like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

She seems to be fairly new to this, she's paying far too much, and she wondered if carnelian pendants were jade:facepalm:. She also thought bangles that were clearly serpentine were jade.:rolleyes:
    Everything I've seen so far is pretty average and fairly recent, not an antique in sight, so not of interest to many of us.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2023
    Figtree3, Dessert58, IvaPan and 3 others like this.
  3. bosko69

I thought like many Thrift Vloggers she was blowing her own horn too loudly-I wonder if bidders are overpaying for this #@%* these days.It's become such a strange volatile market.
    There's one gal who just does Good Wills & her estimated returns seem insane.

4. Satin In A Coffin

Satin In A Coffin Well-Known Member

I don't think the prices she bought things for leave much profit to be made. However, she has a built in audience with her videos and presumably knows what they like? Prices were okay at the sale if buying for yourself. I did see a few things I may have bought for my own collection. Like the jade bangles. And the carved ivory necklace.

IvaPan and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. bosko69

I can't tell good 70's chunky/clunky from bad-Navajo perhaps,but most other stuff ?

IvaPan likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Oh to have gotten to that jewelry case first. Some of what she bought was trash I wouldn't have paid ten cents for. She overpaid for some, and got ivory pikake beads for $8. Overpaid by a pile for the jade beads. She put back a signed glass duck and left silver Japanese cocktail picks behind IN THE BOX. I'd have bagged those so fast....

She has a lot to learn. The crew in here would have licked the platter in the first hour.

KSW, IvaPan, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

None of which were jade. Better wait for the real stuff.;)
    Which she thought were tulips. "I do love tulips":playful:

8. evelyb30

Dumb met Dumber. It's illegal in a lot of places to sell ivory, so those shouldn't even have been for sale. And now if she's reselling she'll either lose her money if she figures it out, or get a strike if someone else does. Should have known better. Way overpaid for the bangles; I'd have shelled out US$5 for nice stone, but that's it. Wrapped some cording on 'em and made necklaces.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2023
    IvaPan and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. bosko69

I figured some our pros here would have a few comments on her supposed 'expertise'.;)
    PS-Thank God we don't do Religion or Politics here(lesson learned),but there's still a touch of 'heat' when it comes to jewelry.

IvaPan and johnnycb09 like this.
  10. bosko69

Sorry to bloviate-are there any good/accurate jewelry picking sites online (sleeper stuff) ?

Dessert58 and johnnycb09 like this.
  11. evelyb30

I watch Crazy Lamp Lady, but she's mostly a glassie. She's said flat out that she doesn't know jewelry.

For sleeper stuff, if it's in a video it just woke up.

12. bosko69

Well-glass is a great thing to know.

johnnycb09 and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

I have more passion for jewellery than for religion or politics.:playful:
    I respect religion as a form of spirituality, and sincerely hope that its adherents recognize the spiritual root of their religion, but know that too many don't.
    As for politics, it seems to be a necessary evil, generally not to be dwelt on for too long.
    Jewellery brings joy to people, provides a soothing beauty in our dark hours, and makes us remember special times and people.:happy: And jewellery has never started a war.:smug:

The vlog is not about jewellery though, nor about expertise. It is about somebody seeking the limelight for herself and her source of income.

KSW, Dessert58, IvaPan and 2 others like this.
  14. bosko69

There seems to be millions of folks monetizing their Vlogs.Many seem more about entertainment & click bait than information.

KSW and IvaPan like this.
  15. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

I do share this! Much as you do, I don't like politics but I follow it and regularly vote, as I am convinced that this is my duty and responsibility as a citizen. It may sound pompous but this is what I believe. I have made many mistakes along the way but this is life, full of mistakes :joyful:

Although, thinking about it, it seems to me that the Trojan war was waged for jewelry. I know that the popular view is different, that it was commenced because of a woman but I strongly suspect that the main cause of the war was the abduction of Helena's chest of jewelry :joyful::joyful::joyful: Paris would have missed it if only Helena interested him, I recon. And of course, the legendary wealth of Troy, a major city on ancient trade crossroads. Helena herself was only the "fig leaf" that made the war look not so savage and somehow more appropriate.

I am no expert in anything but I also had this feeling when watching. Besides, this seems to me crazy money (excluding precious metals and stones), my weekly budget for jewelry is less than the price of some of the pieces there :jawdrop:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
    KSW, Any Jewelry and Dessert58 like this.
  16. bosko69

Iva-I like your insight into the Trojan Wars and just as today,99% of the reason it was fought for was for commerce,trade,cash.
    Your idea that 'Helen was a fig leaf' to put a little perfume on a rancid 10 year war is exactly how were still trying to make all warfare smell better.Same old same old because like Faulkner famously said-'The past is never past...'
    PS-I really like your line about Helen being a fig leaf,it sounds like a line from a Bob Dylan song.I think he's one of our immortals,and after 60 years I'm actually getting used to his voice !

IvaPan likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

:happy::kiss:
    But not by the jewellery itself.;)
    Besides, the jewellery known as Helen of Troy's jewellery actually predates her.
    Heinrich Schliemann, the first man who had Troy excavated, was enamored with the idea that the jewels could have belonged to the legendary Helen of Troy, a romantic thought. But later research showed that they were found in an older layer than that of Helen's lifetime. Which means they were already buried long before Helen was born, and she had no knowledge of them, nor did she ever wear them.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
    IvaPan and Bakersgma like this.
  18. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Watched the video. Much as I love jewellery, I would not have selected anything I saw, at any price, unless the sapphire ring were going for $10.

I did see a large glass bowl that looked interesting as it came in & out of the frame while she was deciding about the red Wedgwood piece she finally concluded was more of a duck than a bird.

Thought the first evening bag she showed then passed up may have been the most interesting. (I love evening bags although have absolutely no use for them.)

Her reaction to the pendant with the Kennedy half dollar felt so strange: it looks great on, she has one, others want one. Too young to have any sentiment connected with it. Didn't even ID it really, just "one of these".

I won't be checking out sales. How does she get people to pay more when she has shown them the wholesale price, as it were?

Any Jewelry and IvaPan like this.
  19. bosko69

-That's the answer we all want to know.

IvaPan and Bronwen like this.
  20. Satin In A Coffin

Satin In A Coffin Well-Known Member

Parasocial relationship? Would be my best guess.

Any Jewelry, IvaPan and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted