Found this electrified wrought penny foot lamp at thrift store

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by colonelmustard, Aug 8, 2021.

1. colonelmustard

colonelmustard Well-Known Member

I picked this beauty at a thrift store. I am trying to determine its age and am hoping you can help me. Someone electrified it and it works but I am thinking of getting rid of that feature. Then having the lamp holder reattached by a welder friend. Do you think these once held oil? I have only seen them with candles.

Can you help me date this? Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LauraGarnet02 and Roaring20s like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Assuming that the wicks emerged from where the sockets now sit, how would you get oil into the very small font? Are there other pieces missing?

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Agree with Bakers, these never had oil or kerosene in them. It was electrified from day one. The light sockets were replaced. It would have had a couple of little shades that clipped onto the bulbs.

4. sabre123

Here's a similar one:

[​IMG]

5. colonelmustard

This is true. I think it would be too top heavy as well. I imagine it was used for candlesticks. Maybe the cups removed so that the lamp sockets could be added.

Bakersgma likes this.
  6. sabre123

Could be. Maybe someone else has seen them with candles.

7. colonelmustard

Possibly this isn't as old as I thought. The electrical looks retrofitted to me. Holes sloppily punched or drilled. I saw this one when I first started researching it.
    [​IMG]

8. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Here's a very similar one light lamp from a 2012 auction. It shows the original lithopane shade. All four lithopane pieces are removed and laying in front of the lamp. Maybe yours had something similar originally.
    https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/2583M/lots/1579
    931238.jpg

komokwa, sabre123 and colonelmustard like this.
  9. colonelmustard

I would have to say that is very very similar to my lamp! Having a pair of shades like that would be amazing. Thank you

10. sabre123

It could be indicative of a mass produced piece where the QC isn’t the greatest. I still think it was electrified originally. I would think if someone hacked those holes with a drill, they’d look much different.

But I’ve been known to be wrong…Many, many times, according to my wife!

komokwa likes this.