Featured Found at a small village brocante last Sunday.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brian Warshaw, Aug 23, 2024.

1. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

A hexagonal externally glazed blue and white bowl or cachepot. Internally and the outside if the base are unglazed, showing an off-white grey colour. In the found state it was dirty and heavily lime scaled.

The top and foot is canted outward, with the scalloped rim being folded inwards. Each of the six panels is bulged outwards, with two designs used three times.

Measurement across points is 15.5 cm, and 15.9 cm across the panel bulges. Maximum height is 10.3 cm. Weight 575 g.

There are no marks on the bottom of elsewhere.

Any thoughts you may on material, origin, age, etc,
    would be appreciated.

C.jpg

A.jpg

B.jpg

D.jpg

F.jpg

E.jpg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Modern and Asian is as far as I'd go.

Brian Warshaw likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Probably second half of the 20th century Chinese, very pretty.

mirana and Brian Warshaw like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I’ve got a couple of these. I think I bought them in the seventies or eighties.

Figtree3 and mirana like this.
  5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Can't help with info on your pretty piece but thank you for my new word of the day: brocante.

6. Brian Warshaw

Thank you for your thoughts, which are in line with my own, however, I am surprised that China would be exporting without mention of origin.

7. evelyb30

It probably had a paper label that washed off.

8. Brian Warshaw

Yes, you are undoubtedly right. I never think of paper labels. Possibly a generic article exported by many traders.

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The ones I’ve got had little oval gold paper labels. I’ve a vague feeling they came from M&S. Who also sold Japanese bone China, too.

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

we had a local store called Christmas Tree Shop. The Belazekians who owned it would travel to China to buy items for the store. They expanded to several stores all over New England and then sold to Bed, Bath & Beyond. BB&B bankrupted it. This is so very similar to many blue & white pieces I got there during the original years.

Figtree3, Brian Warshaw and Bakersgma like this.
  11. evelyb30

We had one here too, one of the originals. I stopped going in years before they sold out, but this does look like the sort of thing they carried.

12. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I agree.

Draft saved Draft deleted