Featured Found a old painting with Spanish? Italian? writing + type written on back

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Dec 7, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this today at my friend's thrift store. It has some writing on the back + a type written letter that I'm sure is the artist's bio, but I can't read it - can anyone tell who the artist is?
    PS - The signature and the top of the writing on the back of the painting made me think it might be by Geza Vaz, but when I googled it I came up with a Geza Vastagh - but his info says (1866-1919) so that can't be this painting...so I'm looking for help, please!
    Thank you in advance!

ART PAINTING THRIFT STORE ANTIQUE PAINTING WITH COA ON BACK 2AA.jpg ART PAINTING THRIFT STORE ANTIQUE PAINTING WITH COA ON BACK 3AA.jpg ART PAINTING THRIFT STORE ANTIQUE PAINTING WITH COA ON BACK 4AA.jpg ART PAINTING THRIFT STORE ANTIQUE PAINTING WITH COA ON BACK 5AA.jpg ART PAINTING THRIFT STORE ANTIQUE PAINTING WITH COA ON BACK 6AA.jpg ART PAINTING THRIFT STORE ANTIQUE PAINTING WITH COA ON BACK 6AAA.jpg ART PAINTING THRIFT STORE ANTIQUE PAINTING WITH COA ON BACK 6AAAA.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The writing on the frame top appears to be an address. The writing below says: Certified Oil Painting by Geza Vas followed by the title 'Homeless: Garibaldi Street." Then it's dedicated to "My dear nephews" with their names which I can't read and "with all my affection." Then the artist's signature and the date.

Debora

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    Figtree3, dude and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

From his bio, the artist was Hungarian by birth and Argentinian by citizenship.

Debora

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It seems he was a national artist and didn't exhibit outside Argentina except at a few of their embassies abroad.

Debora

Figtree3, dude and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

dude likes this.
  6. journeymagazine

wow! Debora do you have a link because I didn't see anything when I tried Gezavas artist?
    PS - Thank you!

dude and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. journeymagazine

You beat me as I was typing!
    Thanks again Debora.

dude, pearlsnblume and Debora like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The writing on the frame top stands for "General Rivas" which is an area within Buenos Aires. A telephone number follows.

Debora

dude likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I got my information about his career from the sheet affixed to back. The search term "Geza Vas" should find you more information. I always go to Images first because it's easier to find other work, a bio, an artist photograph, etc.

Here's the artist. Here's an offering of another painting.

https://www.ampliartleiloes.com.br/peca.asp?ID=5916884

Debora

Unknown.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 10.17.04 AM.png

Figtree3 and dude like this.
  10. journeymagazine

The cheapest work is $8,000,,, then I did a Argentina peso to U.S. dollar conversion - and got $47 (sigh)!
    Were you able to find a bio or anything about him online (how did you find that he exhibited at their embassy?)
    Either way - for the $25 I paid it's cool to find a painting by a known artist!
    Thank you again!!

dude and silverbell like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This is the embassy information which I got off his CV.

It translates as:

"Embassies: of Panama
    of the United States
    of Israel"

I assumed that refered to the Argentinian embassies in those countries because governments don't typically official exhibit the works of artists from other countries.

ART PAINTING THRIFT STORE ANTIQUE PAINTING WITH COA ON BACK 6AAAA 2.jpeg

Debora

Figtree3 and dude like this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

dude likes this.
  13. journeymagazine

dude and Debora like this.
  14. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Too funny! Seller has incorporated the word de or "by" as part of the artist's name!

Debora

dude likes this.
  16. Glorification

Glorification New Member

Not even a clear face but the lady in the painting looks so sad and fed up.. he was a good painter

dude likes this.
  17. journeymagazine

The link Debora gave me shows another of his painting of people - this one a single person - same blurry & sad look.

dude likes this.
  18. Glorification

Glorification New Member

I like that too, he looks half drunk haha, but yours is so much better

dude likes this.
  19. Glorification

Glorification New Member

I think because the man has his hand on her like he’s asking if she is ok, it gives the painting more feeling.. the struggle is real

dude likes this.
  20. journeymagazine

Draft saved Draft deleted