Featured Found a dragon pistol at a garage sale for 80 euros

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Leon Quin, Jul 18, 2023.

1. Leon Quin

Leon Quin New Member

The guy who sold it said it was a fake, and at first I thought it was just a nice looking decoration piece but when I removed the rust, polished and oiled it the necessary pieces started to move again, the flint holder cocks back and with some help will shoot forward. It shows signs of usage as well, might be a shame I restored it before I realised it might be a genuine one. I can't find any markings on it so no idea how old it is. This isn't my area of expertise so I don't know what to look for and how it can be valued.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That was before the renovation, this is after.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you cleaned it...but did u take it apart ?

Aquitaine, Bronwen and wlwhittier like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

with no marks on the metal, I'd have to think a recreation......

4. Leon Quin

Leon Quin New Member

I removed all the screws except for the handle plate and removed the plate with the flint and gunpowder things so I could put it in a pot with liquid rust remover. The rest I polished and waxed with United cutlery metal polish and renaissance micro crystalline wax.

5. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it is without question a copy. These are still being made and sold to tourists in Spain amongst other places, though this one looks far better than the average tourist item, and could easily be dirtied up to give an even better appearance.
    I have its larger cousin.....

IMAG2379.jpg
    I am tempted to dirty this one up, simply for my own amusement. Possibly, I might add a spring bayonet like the one that Komokwa showed too.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

They actually sell kits for some of these .

komokwa likes this.
  7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I think you mean "dragoon" pistol. My only comment is that you polished away all the patina. IF it was a real antique, you'd have reduced the value by quite a lot. If you are keeping an antique and want it to look brand new, do what you will. If you plan on selling it, be aware that buyers of antiques want the original patina. Just think about that for future reference. In Europe, I know they like things polished within an inch of their lives, but in the US, patina is more valuable.

the blacksmith likes this.
  8. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

Whilst I generally agree with you, serious collectors, both sides of the pond, would want it untouched. They would clean and preserve it as necessary, but preserve the patina.
    As you say, had it been genuine, it would be greatly reduced in value to a collector.

Thankfully, it is not genuine, and no harm is done. For myself, I like my weapons to show their age proudly. My advice to would-be collectors, is if you want perfect, pristine items, buy replicas.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted