Found a carved in relief wood portrait that an old man said is Princess Miriam Mckeba?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Dec 7, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

On my way home from thrift store hunting I stopped by a small old 2nd hand store run by an old African American gentleman.
    I've stopped by here before but it's been awhile - I think I'm glad I did!
    He told me he didn't have any new paintings but he did have a wood carving to show me. He got it off the top of a pile of records & told me "you don't know who this is".
    Looking at it I told him he was right - I didn't. So he told me this was a carved image of an African princess Miriam McKeba. I didn't kno who that was but I thought the work was nice & bought it for $20.
    When I got home I googled African princess Miriam McKeba and found a lot about her (including she was a singer), but none of the photos I saw looked like my portrait.
    Is this a carving of princess Miriam McKeba?
    What is the face on the tip of her hat?
    Thoughts on the carving?
    Thanks you!

ART CARVED AFRICAN PRINCESS MIRIAM MAKEBA 1AA.jpg ART CARVED AFRICAN PRINCESS MIRIAM MAKEBA 1AAA.jpg ART CARVED AFRICAN PRINCESS MIRIAM MAKEBA 4AA.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. Glorification

Glorification New Member

It’s very basic and I wouldn’t call it a bargain. There is endless amounts of African carvings for sale and this looks like it was done in 20 minutes.
    Sorry to say this but the one thing he couldn’t sell in the shop was the one thing he offered you.

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  3. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Sorry...post appeared by magic in wrong thread. Just ignore me.

4. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I offered him the $20 because he's been fair to me before & you can tell by his little crowded shop that he could use the money - no big deal, maybe give me some good karma.
    Thanks

kyratango likes this.
  5. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I thought you meant this Mariam Makeba

kyratango, Bronwen and Bakersgma like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Of course it doesn't look like her, as she appears in a photo, but he may have made that spiel up as a selling point. And she was not an African princess or any kind of princess - again a spiel for the white guy. She was a singer and very popular in the "folk crowd" of my youth.

That's the one you should have found if you had the correct spelling.She has a very long Wiki page.

kyratango, judy and stracci like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

She was royalty all right, just not the inherited kind.

8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Ignore what Glorification said, she's banned, the same person as Queen V

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

OMG, Are you serious? I was wondering whether she would try that.

kyratango and daveydempsey like this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Miriam Makeba was fabulous. How gorgeous she was when she began to appear with a shaved head was a revelation to me. Along with Harry Belafonte, very prominent in the civil rights movement as well as a wonderful singer.

Your acquisition is certainly not a portrait of her in the usual sense. Whether it was ever meant to have a connection...?

kyratango and stracci like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted