Featured Fossilized Pendant? Mother-of-Pearl Backing

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by whatmamahad, Oct 18, 2017.

1. whatmamahad

whatmamahad Well-Known Member

Hi Antiquers!
    Is this a fossilized pendant?
    The pendants' backside seems to be Mother-of-Pearl.
    I would appreciate any information.
    Have a Great Day.
    Thanks. 102E9074.JPG 102E9074.JPG 102E9113.JPG 102E9096.JPG

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's shell. I can't remember which one. These are usually Indonesian.

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I don't know anything for sure, hopefully someone who does will chip in. I can only say that: it is very striking; I have never seen anything like it, can't think of any circumstances under which natural stone (non-fossil) could develop to look like this. It does have a very fossil-y look, but the radial arrangement of the 'spokes' with nothing at the center gives me doubts. This is where an expert is really needed. It could be a very complicated piece of glass making.

Why do you think the back is MOP? When viewed from the edge, can you see 2 discrete layers?

4. Bronwen

!!! See while I was writing my wordy reply, Judy nipped in with some more concrete info. Shell would explain the nacreous look of the back without there being 2 separate layers. As someone who deals with a different kind of shell jewellery, would sure love to know what kind can produce this. :happy::writer::turtle:

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Striking, indeed! That's beautiful. I would not have thought naturally occurring, either.

6. Bronwen

7. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Sure!

8. whatmamahad

Thank You, Bronwen. According to the Indonesian jewelry designer, the pendant is made of various shells. Interesting design. Thanks for the information.

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That sounds right. I've seen these widely sold and really like them. I think I have one somewhere. Oops. Too many jools.

10. Bronwen

Think the piece is made of 'various' shells only if you count the MOP backing. Looks like a single kind of shell for the 'spokes' & an artificial material for the rest. MOP backing added to a piece is usually there to hide something, such as obvious signs of molding, or to enhance something translucent above it.

11. whatmamahad

Thank you, Bronwen. Excellent Description. Above all, I like the pendants' caramel brown color.

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Cross sections of screw shells arranged like spokes in a wheel/sunrays.
    Screw shells:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  13. whatmamahad

Beautiful!

14. Bronwen

They are also known as auger shells. They would be perfect for producing those long slender spirals. Thank you AJ for completing the picture. :happy::writer::turtle:

Draft saved Draft deleted