Forks and Knives set in custom box R F M & S

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Lucille.b, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Stamped, R F M & S, EP. So electroplated, but what else can you tell me? I couldn't find the maker online, but not so great with identifying silver. Seems a very well made set. Family is from Switzerland, so could be Swiss. Thanks for taking a look.

disknife1a.jpg disknife.jpg disknife3.jpg

disknife1.jpg

2. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

3. Lucille.b

Yes! Thank you. Very helpful Susan, you are amazing!

I'm thinking as nice as a set as these seem to be, I don't think there is much resale value.

I'll do a bit more research though. Thanks again for the the help.

4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

5. 707susang

707susang Active Member

Lucille, look under 'fish sets', due to the shape of the knife. If I had a set, which I don't, I might use them as dessert or fruit as well, but I think fish is the correct original purpose of this set?

6. 707susang

707susang Active Member

7. Lucille.b

Yes, definitely fish set. Thank you, Sue. I wasn't sure what to call these. This was helpful for looking up comparable sets.

And thank you Susan, for the informative links. Much appreciated.

Looking under "Completed Ebay" under "silver plate fish sets", unless it is really an unusual style, this type of thing is not selling well at all. This is not my set, but I offered to look it up for a neighbor. One set, quite similar to this, sold for the grand sum of $1.65 (just missing one fork).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERB-SET-OF-SILVER-PLATED-FISH-KNIVES-amp-FORKS-IN-ORIGINAL-BOX-MARKED-JB-EPNS-/171340163965?pt=Antiques_Silver&hash=item27e4ab6b7d&nma=true&si=tsm1NWzzOg5mGRvv0w4XNQR%2FMPU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I think I will advise the owners to hold on to them. These are nicely made to my eye, but I guess the market is not very strong right now. I do think they would be lovely for a special dessert for a small gathering.

8. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

LOL! I just looked up fish sets on eBay, and apparently there are quite a few people who haven't a clue What they are selling. Anyone looking for pastry forks or old-fashioned butter knives, please note.

If I had a set that pretty, I'd figure out some way to use it, even if I had to resort to fish mousse on a lettuce leaf!

Draft saved Draft deleted