Featured Folding Fan made from Carved Bone

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shangas, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Nothing too fancy. Bought this carved bone folding fan today. Not sure how old it is, but it looks like it's been around the block a few times, that's for sure. It had a tiny crack at the top of one of the blades, which I later fixed with sticky-tape to stop it disintegrating. But otherwise it's in flawless condition...

bonefan01.jpg bonefan02.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice, Shangas. 20th century Chinese, not too old, but pretty.

judy likes this.
  3. Shangas

I didn't think it was that old, but the condition of the bone (it's starting to warp and curve) made me think that it was at least a few decades old.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

That can happen quite fast, depending on the conditions it was kept under.
    But it is in great condition.
    The designs are not carved, by the way, but machine punched. I'm sure there is a better term for it, but this is where my knowledge of English is too limited.:(

judy likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

VERY NICE, Shangas!!!! But I don't see any SILVER on it anywhere!!!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::D:D

6. Shangas

No silver, no :p But I do like the fan. I have a thing for folding fans and I've never seen a bone one like this in this sort of condition. Most of the ones I find like this are all stuffed up and need re-stringing.

judy likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

It is a little sweetheart. I like the butterflies too. They flutter along with the fluttering of the fan.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted