Flower Help on Platter

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kraftblue, Mar 5, 2024.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

No ID needed. My flower knowledge is quite lacking.

platter.jpg

2. kraftblue

Maybe almond blossoms?

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Look like primroses to me. And they are an old-fashioned flower.

Debora

images.jpeg

TallCakes likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hm. Unless you guys have a different name, neither the flowers on the plate or those in the photo are primroses. Colour, shape and display are all wrong.

primroses, primula vulgaris, are yellow or cream in the wild. The flowers are held on stems which spring from rosettes of long slightly pointed leaves with a very prominent centre vein. There’s some coloured cultivars, hybrids, polyanthus, but those are of a similar growing habit.

The ones on the plate look to be a confused version of wild cherry or almond.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

wikipedia.org disagrees.

Debora

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Maybe just "prunus", which tends to be a catchall for non-specific blossoms.

7. Ownedbybear

8. kraftblue

Thanks everyone for the input. Might be a tough one to describe.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Could be. North American plant names are often unrelated to the original plant names. Early settlers clearly weren't botanists.;)

10. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

11. Ownedbybear

Oh, that’s a totally different plant completely! I also grow oenothera. In some countries they’re known as evening primroses, but they’re an entirely different species from primroses. Which are primula vulgaris.

This is an exemplar of why I use Latin botanical names, not common names.

in any event, I’d say it’s one of the prunus species. The leaves are all wrong for oenothera, too.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

So do I. That is to say, they visited our garden and never left. They are very welcome though.:)
    Absolutely.
    In Dutch the oenothera is called teunisbloem, the primrose is called primula. Another good reason to learn Dutch, less confusion.:joyful:
    Agreed.

13. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I know you don't need an ID but it looks like a Limoges platter that's been hobbyist painted. If it was found in North America it may be a take-off on Noritake's Azalea pattern which was very popular around the time frame this platter would have been imported. I'm not sure it really looks like an Azalea but neither did Noritake's version IMHO.

Any Jewelry and kentworld like this.
  14. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I agree. Being hobbyist painted (and quite nicely!) it could be pretty much anything -- a nice pink flower with some green tracery. I thought it was apple blossom at first.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. kraftblue

dgbjwc, plate is Hutschenreuther.

dgbjwc and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted