Floor vase of unknown origin

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Needhelp23, Apr 12, 2023.

1. Needhelp23

Needhelp23 New Member

Hi all, what a great forum!
    I bought a massive floor vase (~90cm) of an unknown origin, without a dating.
    The vase is approx. 90cm , made out of marble and enamel.
    Does anyone have a clue what could be its origin/ dating? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Could you show its base, please?
    My first thought is that the decoration style looks rather Persian. Certainly Middle Eastern.

Needhelp23 and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm thinking Indo-Persian style (not period). Maybe Pakistan or India.
    I haven't seen one before, so just going by style and material. It is beautiful.

Could you post photos full image please?

Needhelp23 and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. Needhelp23

Needhelp23 New Member

Thanks for the replies! I attach the image in full size with an additional image. Hope they would be helpful. Couldn't turn the vase to take a picture of the base unfortunately.
    20230412_200954.jpg IMG-20230412-WA0000.jpg

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Looks like an Indo-persian design to me too, but not very old. Too bad we can't see the base; that's where the clues are.

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's a lovely lump.

Needhelp23 likes this.
  7. Needhelp23

Needhelp23 New Member

I managed to take a picture of the base. Mystery continues - no apparent clues, or are there? IMG-20230414-WA0000.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

I found these, the seller calls this one Mughal style, which is the same as Indo-Persian style:
    https://www.1stdibs.com/en-gb/furni...krana-marble-hand-painted-vase/id-f_25116482/

An Indian maker of lacquered marble items, if you scroll down the page you'll see more lacquered marble vases:
    https://www.sonaarts.com/MPT233-Exquisite-Stone-Vases-from-Makrana-marble.html

I prefer yours though, a beautifully balanced design.

Makrana marble is found in Rajasthan, NW India. Makrana marble was also used to build the Taj Mahal.

bercrystal, kentworld and Needhelp23 like this.
  9. Needhelp23

Needhelp23 New Member

Thanks Any Jewelry for the insightful response. The similarity in style to the so-called Mughan style vase is indeed impressive. How could you identify the marble as Makrana marble? Also, do you have a guess for the dating of the vase?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

It is the marble they use, local. It is used a lot in India.
    I would say second half of the 20th century. But because it isn't antique, age doesn't really matter. The interest lies in its beauty and the fact that it is a large chunk of marble.

bercrystal and Needhelp23 like this.
  11. Needhelp23

Needhelp23 New Member

Thank you. I found an additional floor vase of a similar style, sold by a seller from India: https://www.ranjittanjoreart.com/img/portfolio/marble-art/marble-art.jpg

Originally, the specific golden decoration made me think the origin was mediterranean, so very interesting.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Understandable, it does have that rich look of Italian home decor items.
    But the very controlled type of design already made me think Indo-Persian style, and when I saw the full image I recognized those typical northern Indian and Pakistani triple flower motifs. To be fair, I have seen a lot of those motifs.

Needhelp23 and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted