Featured Flo Blue prices seem to have fallen off a cliff

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by edteach, Sep 6, 2024.

1. edteach

edteach Member

I wanted to pick up a couple of pieces 20 years ago. Prices were crazy. $125 for a plate. Now I am seeing them for 15 bucks give or take. I have also seen wood furniture going for 1/4 of what it was going for 20 years ago or less. I found these bowls I was going to buy and would like to know if they are original and what value you would put on them. I was thinking of getting 4. Seller is asking $14 each. Antique Henry Alcock Bouquet flow blue English china. 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

2. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Pretty bowls. $14 isn't too much at all.
    I don't see much flow blue in my neck of the woods these days.
    I have a small collection that's taken me years to acquire, from yard sales, estate sales, etc.
    I do love the stuff, though.

3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Agree that prices on flo blue have tanked, but these are quite pretty, and sure look original to my eye. If you like them for yourself (and not resale next week) I think $14 is a very fair price.

Figtree3, verybrad and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. edteach

edteach Member

Thanks for your help. No not for resale. I just wanted a few pieces as I like them.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  5. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I love the pattern. I would go for them.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I remember when flow blue was the must have antique . Blue willow too.

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

There’s a decent flo blue group on Facebook if you’re buying or selling.

8. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Beautiful plates, but there's no flow.

9. edteach

edteach Member

You can literally see the blue all around the outside ring where most of the transfer ink is on the top side of the bowl.

10. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

We have different definitions of flow blue, but that's O.K. To me, if the outlines of the flowers, leaves, etc. are crisp, it's not flow blue, it's just blue transferware. I realize that eliminates most everything currently called flow blue.

11. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Most sellers here in the US would list this as flow blue but I will admit I occasionally struggle myself with how to describe these items and appreciate your comment. I find the line between flow blue and blue transferware to be a matter of interpretation and perhaps a bit "blurry". (sorry, couldn't resist the pun).

It happens with so many categories nowadays. My present battle is trying to convince the owner of the auction house where I work that just because glass glows when you hit it with a blacklight you can't assume it's uranium glass. :rolleyes:

12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

They are lovely plates.

Draft saved Draft deleted