Featured Fish agate pendant - advice needed on stone used and silver mark

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Eils14, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I picked up this fish pendant last year and wondered if anyone had thoughts on what the agate is and also the silver mark/ origin? I have not had silver marked 830 before, so this is a new one! I am wondering who the maker may be as well, possibly it is an NI? I don't know the age of this piece either, so apologies if it is not an old one!

TIA for any replies.
    IMG_7637.JPG IMG_7638.JPG IMG_7650.JPG

lovewrens, KSW and judy like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. Bakersgma

Is the mark on the bail? Your picture seems to show the letters NM following the 830. Is that what you see?

KSW and judy like this.
  4. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

@Bakersgma yes, the mark is on the bail. Here is another picture of it without the loupe

IMG_7649.JPG

KSW likes this.
  5. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

I thought perhaps an NI, but I could be wrong as it was difficult to get the photo. I hadn't thought of Norway as a potential origin for this, thanks, I will take a look and see if that provides a new angle to look into.

KSW and judy like this.
  6. Bakersgma

The only other possible for NI is Denmark but the rules there include other markings your item apparently does not have. Are you sure there are no markings?

KSW likes this.
  7. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

I can't see anything else, other than a solder mark, however I have looked again and I am wondering if it could be an NJ, would NJ work?

The bottom of the mark is missing slightly and it looks like possibly there is a little bit to the left of what I thought was the letter I, perhaps making it a J? I have attempted another photo which may show this but I am finding it tricky to take.

IMG_0363.JPG

8. Bakersgma

There's an NJ in Denmark, but again there are no other marks and I don't know whether that is to be expected in that country. I haven't found an NJ in Norway.

9. Bakersgma

I just checked through a number of Danish jewelry posts that show the marks and it seems that Denmark did not necessarily require the other markings that we would expect on flatware and hollowware. So those makers marks on your pendant could be Danish after all.

KSW likes this.
  10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

How big is this pendant?
    It looks very tactile to touch. Lovely thing :)

11. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Thank you @Bakersgma for looking into it, interesting that it may be Danish

12. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

@KSW it's about 5cms when including the bail and 3cms at the tail end, which is the widest part that way. Yes, it is a very smooth polished stone so feels very nice in the hand.

KSW likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

True, but the Denmark and Norway 830 marks I know of are 830S, not S830.:confused:
    I seem to remember we had an S830 before, but can't find it.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
    KSW likes this.
  14. Bakersgma

Yes, I was wondering about that too and couldn't resolve whether this was just a mistake or something else.

Draft saved Draft deleted