Fireplace Mantle Questions

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by SAconstruction, Dec 22, 2020.

1. SAconstruction

SAconstruction New Member

thumbnail-7.jpeg thumbnail-8.jpeg thumbnail6.jpeg Here we have a what I was told is a fireplace surround. I was hoping somebody could help narrow down the age, or region it was built. I was told that maybe it was commissioned by a European family in South East Asia. It does have some wear and damage which leads me to believe it is 18th or 19th century. Any help would be great. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2020
    Roaring20s and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

A72E82D0-B05F-4905-B60F-38DB06FF588A.jpeg 9CE212FB-6A75-45BE-AE52-A352D9F0C7D1.jpeg Here’s some flipped close ups.

moreotherstuff and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

What a cool piece! I have a feeling that shield/crest may lead you somewhere....It does look somewhat earlier than that to me...medieval comes to mind with the dress of the woman.
    Leslie

4. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Could infact, those be Tudor roses?? Leslie

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

To my eye it has a sort of pre-Raphaelite look to it. A William Morris influence. If so, that would be 3rd quarter 19th C.

Where are you?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    blooey likes this.
  6. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

When researching you'll have better results if you spell it 'mantel' not mantle, which is a sleeveless cloak or cape.

blooey and i need help like this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

This shield could be decorative, or maybe a clue?
    8D8DCACC-1A3F-4F26-82D3-7AF247A926EF.jpeg

8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

agree with @moreotherstuff late 19thc or early 20thc at the earliest. Nice quality and very useful if you have a fireplace needing a new mantel in your castle.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  9. SAconstruction

SAconstruction New Member

Thank you all for the replies. I was told that the piece was brought back from Europe and that is all we know. We are located in the Pebble Beach, California area so we end up with quite a few old pieces and we decided it was time to clear up some space. I do think the coat of arms could help find out some information. does anyone know of a way to do some research on coat of arms? It is a very large piece at about 10 feet across and want to find a good home for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted