Finely Woven Basket with Yellow Stone Handle

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lithographer, Jul 7, 2023.

1. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I picked this up at a thrift store for $3.00 and it came with a bunch of spools of thread. I could use some help figuring out where it is from and how old it is. I did some looking around and the most similar ones appeared to by from china. It measures about 8" across and the varnish has some age. The string holding the handle has dried enough to have broken. I did see a yellow stone that is used for carving, I don't remember if it was a jade or soapstone. I took a picture of the spools of thread if that helps with age. There appear to be 2 characters written on the underside of the lid. I wasn't sure of the orientation for the picture, so they may be upside down. As alway, thanks in advance for all of the help.
    IMG_2255.JPG
    IMG_2256.JPG
    IMG_2257.JPG
    IMG_2258.JPG
    IMG_2259.JPG
    IMG_2260.JPG
    IMG_2261.JPG
    IMG_2262.JPG

charlie cheswick and silverbell like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's a Chinese sewing basket with a Peking Glass ring. Very popular early in the 20th C. This one is relatively plain.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. Lithographer

Thanks everyone!

komokwa likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Those reels are worth something too. Fifties ish.

6. Lithographer

Do people want them to use the thread or do they like the old spools?

7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

People buy old thread? I have five of my mother's sewing tins chock full of really old wooden spools and I have the 5" tall ones that they used in the shoe factory. I also have a few bobbins from the mill where I worked as a teenager. :greedy:

Draft saved Draft deleted