Featured Fine, Cleverly Crafted, Silver Mouthpiece for a Hookah

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by wlwhittier, May 14, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

fullsizeoutput_91a6.jpeg fullsizeoutput_91a5.jpeg fullsizeoutput_91a1.jpeg fullsizeoutput_91a3.jpeg fullsizeoutput_91a0.jpeg fullsizeoutput_919f.jpeg 4" long to the tip of the thumb, 4¾" overall length, weight 44.5 grams.

The simple elegance, exquisite detail, and the number of individual pieces used to build this are an amazement every time I fondle it.

I bought it on eBay in the late 90's...before I got smarter about bidding.
    Silver was cheap then, but it cost me dearly as I was bidding against someone who wanted it every bit as much as I did. No matter...and no buyer's remorse; I love it!

I think it's Egyptian...but that's just a hunch, a guess.

I hope some of you are as delighted to see it as I am to have it. Please do tell me your impressions.

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous, so elegant.
    Egyptian silver is usually marked.

The style of the jewellery is Indian.
    That style slave bracelet, a bracelet with rings attached with chains and a central flower on the back of the hand, is Indian. Those very long cuff bracelets are worn in several parts of India, especially in Rajasthan.

wlwhittier and aaroncab like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Clever design!

komokwa likes this.
  5. wlwhittier

Great ID...Thank you!

Lovely bracelet, too...Silver or Paktong?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

They say silver, which I believe, since it is an oldie.
    Bracelets like that were an investment for harsh times, which could come at any time for tribal peoples.
    Many Banjara are nomads, just like some of their Roma cousins in Europe. Both groups are Gypsies, the difference being that the Banjara stayed in India.

wlwhittier likes this.
  7. wlwhittier

That makes good sense...Thank you!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Way cool piece. It's the only part of the hookah I'd want in the house, but somebody cared about what they were doing.

wlwhittier likes this.
  9. wlwhittier

Is it reasonable to assume (always dangerous, I understand) that the Hookah associated with it must have been similarly well crafted, and of quality materials? I am completely ignorant about all things Hookah, except for the impression that it is Turkish in origin...and that may well be erroneous!

I have to ask whether hookah smokers use their own mouthpieces in public parlors...or is it common to smoke through community mouthpieces?

Draft saved Draft deleted