Fine Art Guild LTD, framed obliske.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Armando0831, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg I found this intriguing. I liked the red covering on the back with the contrast of the white. I've looked for Fine Art Guild but I'm finding Fine Art Trade Guild. I have no idea when this was done. Am I understanding it correctly, that FIne Art Guild LTD did this piece and also the framing for the pieces?

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I'm finding several sites that say that Fine Art Guild Ltd was in Passaic, New Jersey. The only site where I can see a label is this one, and it does look similar to the label on yours:
    http://www.bonanza.com/items/like/126437701/Original-Flowers-Acrylic-Art-Painting-Signed-Stanick

Here are some others:
    https://offerupnow.com/item/detail/3237231/leather-framed-wall-art

Mentioned in the text as part of an estate sale:
    http://www.estatesale.com/sales/view/18876.html

Somebody posted a message here in 2013 asking for information about the company, but nobody appears to have replied:
    http://www.wonderful-passaic.com/message.htm

Armando0831 likes this.
  3. Figtree3

There appear to be several companies named Brandi Associates, Inc. (the client for whom the "obliskes" were made. Odd spelling, by the way. I thought it was obelisk.

Fid likes this.
  4. Armando0831

Wow, how did you find out that information about Brandi Associates? That's pretty amazing that you tracked that info down.

5. Armando0831

It's surely the same company. The paper label is the same.

6. Armando0831

Could of been a typo? That's my guess. I need to take these some where and have then remounted.

7. Armando0831

Lol, I took an allergy pill earlier and it obviously has kicked in. You can disregard that last reply about Brandi Associates.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Figtree3

It could have been a typo, or maybe they were just trying to be a bit different.

9. rdukeesq

rdukeesq New Member

I have a couple of engravings with the same "fine art guild ltd" but with a unique description for each piece and mine were made for "gardner's.

10. rdukeesq

rdukeesq New Member

i have two prints with "fine art guild ltd" on them they have unique descriptions and the prints were "framed and styled for" "gardner's. let me know if you found anything else out, I am trying to value these prints. It would be interesting if this guild adds value.

11. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

The values on this geneal kind of thing, reproductions made in 20th-21st centuries to hang on your wall, don't seem to sell for much at all, often bringing less than the original retail price. My WAG at prices for such prints would be something like $5-$25 depending on the frame, But I've never bought or sold any. Brad should know, maybe he'll be around soon.

12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree. Companies like this sold to the trade in mass quantities. Their semi-custom labels made it seem like there was exclusivity and value above and beyond what there intrinsically is. With few exceptions, the labels don't really add any value on the secondary market.

Some company labels that may add value are Vanguard Studios, Turner Mfg. Co., and Associated American Artists (AAA). I am sure there are others.

13. GizMom

GizMom New Member

I just purchased one of these today, knowing that I likely overpaid, because I just loved the reproduction portrait. It has a very odd frame. I wondered if the frame is actually worth more than the print? I thought at first it was an oil painting but I can see now that it is not. Having trouble uploading a photo of the one I purchased.

14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

komokwa and GizMom like this.
  15. GizMom

GizMom New Member

Thank you so much!

i need help likes this.
  16. GizMom

GizMom New Member

I just purchased one of these today, knowing that I likely overpaid, because I just loved the reproduction portrait. It has a very odd frame. I wondered if the frame is actually worth more than the print? I thought at first it was an oil painting but I can see now that it is not. Christus.JPG

Fid and i need help like this.
  17. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The picture is Portrait of a Young Girl by Petrus Christus (c1470).

Fid and i need help like this.
  18. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

If my guess is right, this is more of a plaster plaque than an actual usable frame. Is the picture glued on to the front or inserted from the back? If it is an actual frame, the value of it would exceed the artwork.

19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Only mentions I can find are in early 1970s decorating publications.

Brandi Associates
    114 East 40th Street
    Miami, FL 33137

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted