Fell&Co - Rare Transferware Pattern?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bluemoon, Apr 2, 2016.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I can't seem to figure it out. Which one of the two marks is the maker's mark?

Age? Pattern name?

Edit: I think it was made by Fell&Co who were in business from 1817 to 1890.

The pattern (haven't found info) and age remain a mystery.

Screenshot_2016-04-02-13-48-25.png Screenshot_2016-04-02-13-49-02.png Screenshot_2016-04-02-13-49-12.png

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Can't help with your questions, but love the plate. However, the Porcelain/Pottery People are going to tell you to remove its corset asap!!! :)

3. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Removing it will be kind of difficult. Some parts of the metallic springs have been welded shut..

4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Ah! An ironclad alibi!

(Too good to pass up. LOL!)

5. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

No one knows this pattern?

Not even Google

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I've been looking and haven't found anything - not even a mention of Stefandini.

I think the plate is by Thomas Fell, given that that mark is impressed. I would guess the Stefandini firm were decorators and may not have been related in any way to Fell, other than as clients.

Just out of curiosity: is the transfer blue or green? there seems to be a heavy blue cast to the photos.

Bakersgma and anundverkaufen like this.
  7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It could also have been made esp. for the retailer Stefandini, but I couldn't find any mention of that company as a retailer, decorator, or importer.

bluemoon likes this.
  8. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

It's a very dark blue. Navy blue sort of.

It looks slightly lighter in the pictures.

9. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

I am not positive, but the pattern may be called Mandarin.

10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I like the plate. Did you notice how on the left side, the transfer didn't quite come together? Almost like it was just slightly too large for the plate. The "oriental" patterns were so popular in the late 1800s.

bluemoon likes this.
  11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

That's a good point. Retailer never even occurred to me.

12. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Gotta run, but just wanted to let you know that I had exactly the same problem with Stefandini. Then when I realized the error, I also had the same experience with the correct spelling. StefanIDI.
    Or, on 5th look, it might even be StefanTDI.
    OR, did they actually misspell the name when they made the stamp?

Sooooo! is it Fell and co. Or a different first letter?

CYL

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    bluemoon likes this.
  13. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Oh, the spelling--good one!
    But I can't find any combination that gets results.

14. TheOLdGuy

I'm beginning to wonder if it's a poor knock-off.

But, who's Stefanidi OR Fell they may be trying to copy?
    Did they make up the whole thing.

Or are we looking at an original made by, and finished by companies that are long defunct?

15. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Fell & Co.....made a lot of blue and white transfer in the early to mid 1800's. So i'm guessing it is original and they are the maker.

16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I searched for some time with C. STEFANIDI and came up with nothing yet......

And I believe at some point on the dishes, on transfer-ware, it's quite common to see the point/points of not matching pattern!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    bluemoon likes this.
  17. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Thomas Fell is listed in Godden with this mark (the impressed one). Momentarily I thought there might be a connection to an English maker named Stephan (wondering if that might be a link to Stefandini) who also used a fouled anchor mark, but I think that's just coincidence.

18. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Do you mean a modern fake made in China or something or perhaps an antique fake that was made back in the day?

Stefanidi sounds obviously Italian to me, but that doesn't offer many clues.

Could have Stefanidi been a restaurant or a hotel that commissioned a batch of transferware for their use? Was transferware used in such places or just domestically?

19. TheOLdGuy

Thanks to all for the answer. In my rush to find I came up with no Fell and Co. that came close. I appreciate your letting me know that one is real.

20. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Stefanidi remains a mystery

Draft saved Draft deleted