Fecamp, 1877 Gaston Roullet Oil Painting Restored

Discussion in 'Art' started by techbiker, May 8, 2023.

1. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

After 4 months of on-and-off work, I finally restored this 1877 oil painting by the French artist, Gaston Roullet. He was official painter of the Colonies and the Navy as well as Knight of the Legion of Honour. https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaston_Roullet

The recto of the artist's board cleaned up well with Gainsborough Products' neutralizer and emulsion cleaner. With substantial crumbling gesso, the frame was a larger task. I ended up rebuilding the damaged gesso with molded Plaster of Paris. I ordered some gold foil to repair the losses to the frame, however that suspiciously disappeared in the mail... The old gilding was also grimy and darkened, making it nearly impossible to partially regild.

In the end I mixed up a number of acrylic gold paints to touch up the frame damage. Also stabilized the artist's board with shims and new retainers.

P.S. The 19th century frame came with the painting from the auction house. Not sure whether it's original to the painting.

Approx 8" x 6" sight size.

P.S. A picture of this painting can be found on the travelfrance website. Fecamp – The Artists – Roullet, Gaston – Travel Information and Tips for France (travelfrance.tips)

Recto Restored:

[​IMG]

Recto Restored Far View:

[​IMG]

Verso Restored:

[​IMG]

Recto uncleaned:

[​IMG]

Recto unrestored:

[​IMG]

Fecamp, 1877. Antique Gaston Roullet Oil Painting - Imgur

Last edited: May 8, 2023