Featured Favourite Printing/Etching in My Wee Collection

Discussion in 'Art' started by shamster, Aug 8, 2024.

1. shamster

shamster Well-Known Member

I only have four printing/etching/engraving/whatever they're called in my collection and this one is by far my favourite. I bought it when I was still in high school, until this day I think about posting it here. 1.png

I believe it's not after any known artwork of the Baptist, but original by the artist whose signature is here: 2.jpg

This is the link to his wiki:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josef_Löwy

Figtree3, judy, Any Jewelry and 9 others like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Would you be kind enough to post a photograph of the text in the opposite corner?

Debora

3. shamster

Sure!
    IMG_7377.jpeg

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

J. Löwy created the heliograph. PXT is an abbreviation for "He painted it." which means your artist is H. V. Wieser. That's most likely Hyacinth von Wieser (1848-1878) who studied in Rome and appears, from the work below, to have been interested in historical subjects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliography

Debora

e33f30e3-f2f1-4dab-ae84-1702a6c8c4df_570.Jpeg.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2024
    Figtree3, Any Jewelry and shamster like this.
  5. shamster

Thank you for correcting me! Unfortunately I still cannot find the original painting the etching is based on, but the quality of etching itself is breathtaking

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's not terribly unusual to be unable to find an original painting, Not everything is online, and it's possible that the original was just a preparatory drawing for the print. A heliograph is a photographic etching technique. A photo is taken of an artwork, but instead of being printed on paper, the image is transferred to a printing plate treated with a photo-sensitive resist. When processed, the image on the plate can be etched. I think the inventor of the process was Amand Durand. He was certainly an early and prolific practitioner.

It's a nice print.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The artist died at 29 in Rome. It's doubtful he left much of a body of work behind nor was well known for his work in his native Austria.

Debora

261097957_26cf00e3-f453-43c8-9b54-e9e7234dbd49.jpeg

Figtree3 and shamster like this.
  8. shamster

Thank you :cat: it does have the texture of a photograph. Not only the original, the print is found only once on a facebook page… feel lucky to have it!

Potteryplease likes this.
  9. shamster

and I am careless to leave his name unnoticed there :bag:

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Heiographs are intaglio prints. It's just a question of how the image is realized on the printing plate.

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's an interesting treatment of the subject. The artist is showing off a bit what with the foreshortening of the head, the decorated metal tray, the supporting linens. And he's deliberately chosen to avoid gore and, instead, focus on the saint's vulnerability which he emphasizes by the jaunty beard that points heavenward.

Debora

Potteryplease and shamster like this.
  12. shamster

It’s surely the finest example I have seen:angelic: I had it in my bedroom wall for a long time and until one day my mom (non-christian and hardly know any figures apart from Jesus and Mary) realized it’s a head chopped off!

moreotherstuff and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I love these comments. Thank you Debora!

During our recent antiquers hiatus, I noticed again that this is the kind of thoughtful, informed commentary that is so hard to find on other sites.

Any Jewelry, shamster and Debora like this.
  14. architrave

architrave Well-Known Member

Figtree3, shamster, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

How clever of you to have found the above.

Debora

shamster likes this.
  16. shamster

Thank you for searching :angelic:

Draft saved Draft deleted