Father Johns Medicine Snake Oil Quackery Printing Plates

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by J Dagger, Jun 7, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I’m considering buying the lot of these printing plates. I don’t know much about printing plates in general or what their value is. I like these because they represent a piece of local history to my area. Medical Quackery is a fun area I haven’t explored. More in it because of the local connection. Any way the lot is being offered for $100 OBO. I’m hoping to get it for a decent chunk less than $100 if I decide to buy. I would most likely want to sell a couple to cover cost and keep the rest for my collection. Do these have any real value or just a curiosity? I see some plates sell for $5-$50. Would the subject matter make these worth any more than $20 bucks or so on average? I would hope these aren’t being reproduced but I suppose I should probably consider that possibility too. Thanks for any help.

Btw this product is still being sold surprisingly enough! Now it’s just an normal cough syrup I think. If it worked for Father John it could work for you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

There's a number of listings on worthpoint for Father Johns Medicine printing blocks showing they've sold on ebay in the past for $5-$10 a piece. A few for $10-$20 depending on size. One listing had 40 blocks for only $200. Doesn't really seem like a great buy.

Jivvy, J Dagger, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  3. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Good call! Thanks for the info. Maybe I should become a member of worthpoint. They seem to have the most extensive pricing info.