Far NorthWest Pacific Coast Hide Scraper, Wood an' Bone?

Discussion in 'Tools' started by wlwhittier, Dec 23, 2023.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

~4 1/2" long, ~3 1/4" wide, ~7/16" thick; weight ~2 1/2 oz. The face shown is essentially flat, but the backside is slightly convex, making for a more comfortable grip.

Plainly utilitarian in concept an' execution; its beauty, for me, is in the fine craft shown in several details: first, the inletting at the thin nose for the blade, and the relieving of the blade skirt to fit that inlet, along with the two copper pins to secure it in position (no relative movement at all). Then there is the single chamfered hole in the wood...not for hanging (I don't think) but for a thong to prevent loss, or just a wrist loop to keep the tool handy while processing the hide.

Also, of some obscure significance is the 'cushion', seen beneath the bone strip secured by 2 brass screws. On close examination, an unevenness at the lower surface of the bone can be seen at the exposed ends; perhaps the cushion 'seats' that more firmly to the wooden edge. Again, there is nothing loose there; that part is solidly attached.

The type of wood, along with the bone/ivory conundrum, are beyond my skills; marine ivory doesn't show the lines that make elephant ivory comfortably identifiable. Those two pieces show use-polishing, an' the blade has some staining. I don't think it has any deep age to it.
    All your comments are most welcome...Thanks for lookin'!

P1390729.jpeg P1390731.jpeg P1390732.jpeg P1390733.jpeg P1390736.jpeg P1390739.jpeg P1390742.jpeg P1390741.jpeg

Potteryplease likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Idle guess would be for smoothing a surface, like in a lamination process?

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The "blade" is too blunt to be an effective hide scraper. It looks more like the squeegees used in making silk screens. But if that, I would expect it to be stained with inks.

The ends look like bone rather than any kind of ivory.

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Maybe for squeezing water or oil out of something?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
    wlwhittier and 2manybooks like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

this item in unknown to me.......:sorry:;)

I wonder if the wood is even from North America..?

6. wlwhittier

The relief for the blade may have been cut with a power tool (table saw); the bottom of that cut looks dead-square to the sides. That, an' the brass slotted screws (boat hardware) put it in the early to mid 20th C, for me.
    I don't see it as a squeegee, bicbw.
    It came to me with 2 others...when (an' if) I come across them, I'll post pics an' further descriptive chatter right here, that's a promise. Don't hold yer collective breaths. though...

Potteryplease likes this.
  7. komokwa

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto.

komokwa likes this.
  9. wlwhittier

komo, the Contrarian...turnin' blue, jest fer yew!

komokwa likes this.
  10. komokwa

Blue in the Face........ it's a thing !!!!:wideyed:

Draft saved Draft deleted