Featured Famous Antique Centre Sold Me This Brooch...Turns Out...

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by shamster, Aug 6, 2024.

1. shamster

shamster Well-Known Member

1.jpg 2.jpg Finally back! This happened last week and it's hard waiting til this day to share with you!

So I bought this brooch marked gold plated from a well-known antique centre in uk. For less than 30 pounds. As soon as I saw it I couldnt believe it is plated, as the condition was soooo perfect.

And now it passes my 9ct test...

2. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

You have a straight on photo of the front because it looks really lovely and I want to see it better. :D

Chinoiserie, kyratango and judy like this.
  3. shamster

3.jpg
    Here you are! It's too nice to be non-solid gold, right? 3.jpg

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful detail and nice price. It could have a thick layer of gold?
    If they still have the piqué brooch next to it, go back for that one.;):happy:

5. shamster

Sorry as I know you are always against this... but I scratched it with my crafting knife on a very unnoticable place, and that's how it past my test... sorry just want to be really really sure! And apparently the frame of the back locket is a lower carat than the main body, around 9ct

Chinoiserie, johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

:bigtears:

7. shamster

Any another wild move... I noticed later that some areas have turned grey so I thought that plating could be worn there...but my acid has turned it back to bright golden :wideyed:

8. shamster

Btw could you please give me some thoughts on another post of mine today? I really need expert's eye on it and I promise no more acid on them :shy:

9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

It's a beautiful brooch. Another strong vote for no scratching. It damages the piece, even if in a hard to see area.

I can see why you got this one. Just from the age and fine construction, gold was a reasonable bet. Very pretty.

10. shamster

I won’t most of the time, if I am sure! But it’s really a tiny area and guess I will forget where I did it within few days:shame:

Chinoiserie, johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  11. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Nice catch! (But not so nice scratch;)).
    Old gold like that will get strange colors in place due to storage near silver or at soldered places.
    I love that as it leads sellers to think it is base metal:joyful:

Figtree3, Chinoiserie, mirana and 2 others like this.
  12. shamster

Won't do that again :bag: and I feel like even seller thinks it's plated, 30 pounds for such a beauty is too low

13. Any Jewelry

Ditto. I have seen gilded silver brooches of a similar style listed and sold for much more.

Chinoiserie and kyratango like this.
  14. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

That is a GORGEOUS piece! Would have been worth it even if just gold filled. Very, very pretty.

kyratango, Chinoiserie and shamster like this.
  15. shamster

And I have not yet found a non-gold piece with matching quality ;)

16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They figured that since the end of the safety chain was brass that the pin was too. Those chains are replaced left and right, and somebody was asleep at the switch!

kyratango, shamster and mirana like this.
  17. shamster

It actually makes whole thing stranger as the brooch is so perfect while the safety chain, so easily replaceable, has gone through so much ;)

kyratango likes this.
  18. evelyb30

My guess is that the chain came from something else and was married to the brooch later.

kyratango and shamster like this.
  19. shamster

That’s an ill-matched marriage

kyratango likes this.
  20. evelyb30

It's for safety, so pretty was secondary to "don't lose me".

kyratango and shamster like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted