Featured Fake Meissen? Request for your help kindly

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mercyworkmail, Feb 22, 2022.

1. Mercyworkmail

Mercyworkmail New Member

Good day everyone,

I purchased this piece for my mother, I was told it is Meissen.
    The mark shows two straight swords and the number "8" pressed into it.
    I have a few pieces myself and I have never seen the mark in such a light blue color, I also find the mark has very straight lines.
    On the other side the faces are nicely modeled and painted mark 8.jpg mark 2.jpg mark 1.jpg mark 3.jpg mark 4.jpg mark 5.jpg mark 6.jpg mark 7.jpg mark 8.jpg .
    I would appreciate your input very much as this is a gift for a loved one.

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't think Meissen did floral decoration like that, and doubt the overall quality is up to Meissen standards. But I've been wrong before.

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm no Meissen expert, but it doesn't look right to me either.

4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

did you try to wipe off the swords with alcocol ? seems as if there is an imprint underneath. looks like a modofied Karlsruhe item.

Francisco G Kempton and judy like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Thirded on quality. It's pretty but doesn't have the finesse. Too clunky and the mark is all wrong.

johnnycb09, KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  6. Mercyworkmail

Mercyworkmail New Member

Thank you for all of your replies. I tried both scrubbing it and the alcohol and it does not fade. However, a member of a German forum helped narrowing down the ID. It seems to be von Schierholz (Plaue).

Ebay Figure von Schierholz
    Figure 2

I have a theory: They glazed the complete bottom of it and then added the Meissen "fake" mark. Which is rather sad because the figures are still nicely modeled and pretty to look at.

7. Mercyworkmail

Mercyworkmail New Member

I don't think von Schierholz would have left the piece unmarked, otherwise. Thoughts on this? Does this make sense to you?

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

VERY complicated company history.
    just shortly. Schierholz himself was a merchant that seems to have had a Schnaps-, a vinegar- , and by marriage a cheeseproduction. he opened the porcelainfactory with a partner that came of a family ceramics producers and that died after a year only. he seems to have had more luck with the employed artists and masters.
    best would be if you made yourself a translation into English of this history here:
    https://traditionsverein-plaue.de/unterseite2_entwurf
    /200%20jahre%20schierholz-%20porzellan

it's by a local heritage society, that seems to be guarding more than the factory, but those people normally know most details - oral history etc..

Francisco G Kempton likes this.
  9. Mercyworkmail

Mercyworkmail New Member

Thank you, I had a look and quite an interesting story! Appreciate your feedback!

Draft saved Draft deleted