Fake bronze bells are everywhere it seems

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by springfld.arsenal, Jan 2, 2018.

1. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

56BFBC12-F5D5-4BC3-8AFC-547A13C85011.jpeg 80B89674-3963-4595-828D-9255F72C1835.jpeg

EEB90FEC-671B-4D62-979A-7FD1BBD344B6.jpeg

00B1FB25-05BB-496F-8BCB-AD4FE003666D.jpeg

Lately in the international antiques markets and in online auction sites I’ve seen way more fake “Antique bronze bells” than authentic ones. I’m not really collecting them anymore (although a Paul Revere bell cast during his lifetime would tempt me!.).

So I’ll offer a free vetting service for bronze bells over 20 lbs. and over 8” mouth. Why not smaller? Way too many of them and 96% of those are Mexican tourist souvenirs. I need fairly complete info though, well-lit photo of inside plus several photos of outside with clear details.

FYI here are some photos of give-away details that proved a bell was not cast in one piece as is required to be considered a legitimate antique bronze bell. There are other traits but the one-piece casting is the most-often-violated feature.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  2. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Interesting topic, although I know nothing about it. Still in the last picture, could the soldering be a repair, if the bell broke and someone soldered the top back on?

3. springfld.arsenal

Negatory! (Navy slang for “No.”)

That crown was constructed of two halves soldered on top to join them, then soldered to the bell body in numerous places, then I’m guessing added fake patina, which someone removed to make it nice and shiny. I could be wrong but what are the chances of having that many breaks?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Christmasjoy and bluemoon like this.
  4. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Since you have experience with old bells and old metal, I'd appreciate a comment on the bells I recently listed as "Now evaluate this bell". Clearly not over 20 lbs, but I'm curious what you think about the casting of the handle and bell holders.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

Thanks for the education and offer.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. springfld.arsenal

Just saw this, I don’t “follow” threads so anyone wanting to contact me should use PP.

And this sounds like a cop-out but I know less about multiple bells and small bells than others here who have seen more of them. I looked at the photos of some multiple bells here and they looked old, really that’s all I do with those mentally. I’m knowledgeable regarding types things I’ve owned and studied personally, but have never had small bells.

Christmasjoy likes this.